Novice needs some guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to the board and would really appreciate some help regarding an issue that I'm having w/ my PC. I can establish a connection online but when I try to open internet explorer it displays "PAGE CANNOT BE FOUND." This just started a week ago. Someone told me that I need to reconfig. my hard drive because I must have a virus but I don't know where to begin since I don't have my Windows XP CD anymore to load back onto my pc after clearing out the hard drive. I am a total novice I would really appreciate some help! Do I really need to start from scratch or is there another way?? Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your problem may be nothing to do with viruses etc.

However, it wouldn`t hurt to check.

Go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Howard, thank you

I appreciate your quick reply. Unfortunately, I do not have the ability to download programs as I am currently not on my pc. Is there any other way to resolve the problem w/o software downloads? Thanks for all of your help!

Garrett, does this happen when you try to bring op any page with IE?
How are you establishing a connection ?
Does IE open to your homepage?
Or does it give the 'page not found' immediately? not matter which page or site you put in the Address Bar?

I can`t check for malware without you downloading HJT or some other application, so I guess there`s not much we can do until you`re back on your own pc.

Once you`re back on your own pc, please post the HJT log requested and we`ll take it from there.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks bobbye

Thanks for your reply.
It happens w/ any page.
Unfortunately I am an dial up earthlink subsc.
IE won't open my earthlink homepage and gives page not found immediately.
I look forward to your feedback.

OK, no page found for anything- usually in a hijack, the browser is takes to the malware site of it's choosing and the homepage can't be recovered.

.1 When you say ' I can establish a connection online' what do you mean- if the browser won't take you there/? How do you connect and to what?
2.Are you able to use your email program?
3. Did you install IE7? Did this begin 'after you downloaded and installed IE7 If it did, try uninstalling it and see if this correct the problem:

Control Panel> add/Remove Programs> highlight IE7 and uninstall it. You will not revert back to IE6. See if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back