NTFS Boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently used the convert utility in xp to go to ntfs from fat 32. Works just fine. However, it takes forever now for my drivers (sound card ,etc.) and startup services to load upon bootup. There were no bootup problems before converting to ntfs. Any ideas on why this happening? Can I fix it? Thanks in advance for any help.

Have you upgraded to the latest service pack?

But first, defrag your hard drive. The conversion may not have done it good on the fragmentation side of things.

Open event viewer:

start, run:

eventvwr

and see if there are any nasty warnings with red crosses about problems creating the pagefile, etc, or anything that refers to a problem in the boot process.

Thanks. I defrag regularly and have the latest xp service pack. I checked eventvwr and don't seem to have any nasty red Xs other than some application problems. but nothing that seems to interfere with the boot. jimh

can you reboot, and when the Windows operating system boot menu appears, just before windows boot, can you select safe mode (press f8) and report if any particular stage seems to be hanging. It will tell you what bits its doing, watch for the familiar patterns of the problem, but this time see what file its trying to work with. tell us what file that is (if that's what you see....)

Sorry for the delay. That pesky career keeps getting in the way. Actually I boot up quite normally in safe mode. I would imagine because it's not loading the drivers such as the sound card it takes so long to load in normal mode. Any other suggestions? I'm grateful for your interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back