Ntfs.sys error on mrmory upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I upgraded my memory. Kingston 128MB PC133 CL168 Pin DIMM. This seemed appropriate for my Athlon Kinetiz 7E Apollo KT133A. Basically I had 256MB in Bank 0 and added 256 to Bank 1.
It worked fine the first time but the next day refused to boot up Windows XT giving me the "the following file is missing or corrupt: ntfs.sys". Re-booting with XP disc as it suggests does not work: it just hangs at the error message and all keys simply restart.
I removed the extra memory and it seems okay i.e. it boots up. Can anyone suggest why it doesn't work? A similar posting suggest an upgrade in power supply. Mine has a total power output of 300W.

Thanks.

Generally you want to keep all your memory from the same manufactuer. At the very least, the same bandwidth. Kingston is a very reputable seller and considered tier 1. I don't know what other brand you have on the MB, but you shouldn't have problems. It might be the older memory can't match the speed or bandwidth of the kingston stick.

Been away but thanks. I'll take a look at the original memory and see if that gives me any clues. I'll maybe test the Kingston in a spare PC too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back