Ntfs.sys Missing Or Corrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I followed the windows tutorial for this problem here at no avail.

This problem occurred when I was installing the Service Pack 2 and it froze, so I reboot and got the error telling me
We apologize for the inconvience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Resert button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Start Windows Norm + Last Known Good Config. reboot and bring me back to this screen. All the Safe Mode choices run through a bunch of System32\Drivers files then I get the error saying that
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair

So I followed the tutorial like I said in the beginning. I run through it all, except at the end the "quit" command doesn't work, and the cd-rom doesn't eject. So I use "exit" and eject the cd-rom after I reboot. Then it goes back to the same stupid screen about starting windows. Please is there a way to fix this without cleaning my harddrive and reinstalling windows? I did that 2 days ago because of a accidentaly messing up the boot file.

HELP PLEASE!!

Compaq 5WV280 (900 MHz, 128mb Memory)
Western Digital 160 GB hard drive
Windows XP Home Edition

Instead of pressing 'r' at the setup menu, i hit enter to proceed with the installation and repaired it through there (like what you suggested). Well it fixed that problem, now I'm getting an error saying:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt C:\Windows\inf\Biosinfo.inf

The article from Microsoft to fix it is here but I don't understand what to do.http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829784&Product=winxp

It seems to be suggesting that your antivirus software may be to blame.

It`s telling you to boot into safemode and uninstall your antivirus software.

Have you tried uninstalling your current antivirus programme?

What antivirus software are you using?

Personally I would recommend the AVG free edition you can get this from http://www.grisoft.com/doc/40/lng/ww

Also now you have done a Windows repair you will need to do all the windows updates again.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Well are you dual booting? That is what that article is implying. You can try booting into Safe Mode as it suggested and following the rest of the steps. Once you have your AV turned off you may want to try reparing again.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

I dont know how to remove my antivirus software (Zone Alarm) cause I can't get into Windows.

When I try to boot into Safe Mode it gives me the same error.

I`m sorry to hear that.

All i can suggest is that you run the repair process again and see what happens.

If that still doesn`t solve the problem then maybe a reformat and reinstall of your os is in order.

Regards Howard :cool:

After you get straightened out..you,ll want to slipstream SP2 if you feel you need it..otherwise you,ll have problems forever, imo..;)

i have the ntfs.sys problem and ive tried repairing it with the xp pro cd and theres no options to repair even thou it finds a C:\windows i also have 5 other partitions.

I also tried doing what windows said by replacing the file itself but it comes upp with the same error :(

anyhelp would be great :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back