NTLDR is missing, access denied???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, fello computerians

When starting up my computer the message (NTLDR is missing press crtl, alt, del to restart) comes up. So i get the service pack cd and when i go to copy the neede files on the hard drive it reads (ACCESS DENIED). Can anyone help me with this? I realy don't want to loose any files i have on the computer....THANK YOU!

You could try booting from your windows cd and selecting recovery console then typing fixmbr, that may do it!!!!

I just had a system come in yesterday with this problem. I would suspect the hard drive first. I could not correct the problem by fixing the MBR. Another drive worked normally. The system was unstable and very slow, but it booted into XP. There were many exploded capacitors on the motherboard. I have a new motherboard coming from Newegg this Thursday...

Thanks guys for your input, i didnt try the fixmbr yet. If that goes wrong then ill loose any chance of getting into my hd. (from what i've read and understand.

i wonder why i cant open up in safe mode?

bankssr83 said:
i wonder why i cant open up in safe mode?
Because your hard drive Master Boot record is messed up. If the MBR can't be fixed we both may be out of luck retriving our data

Well, the "fixmbr" didnt work. im stil getting the message. It seems like theres a ton of solutions for this situation when all you should have to do is copy a couple of files to the correct drive...?... IM STUMPED

did you take the disk out of you A drive?

There is a small chance that your IDE cable is faulty. Reseat to make sure

Your OS maybe seriously corrupted (Hope you did a backup)

Did you copy the NTLDR file and NTDETECT.COM files?

The moral of the story is back up all your important data on a regular basis!!!!

rik said:
The moral of the story is back up all your important data on a regular basis!!!!

I stopped wasting my time telling people that because they never listen.
Then they freak out when its gone! Thats the price of being hard headed.

Know what you mean Smore9648!!!!

I knew a guy that kept his entire business on one pc and never even defragged it let alone back it up!!

He ended up loosing all his accounting and got upset but there was absolutely nothing i could do to recover it all!!

He then went out and bought a new pc and said it would solve all his problems!! Its now on its third reinstall and he still doesn't back up and it has probably cost him over £5,000 in lost business!!!!

That's funny!!! Yes i did try to copy those files, that's when i get the ACCESS DENIED message. One thing though, what is the IDE cable and OS and how do i reset them? Yes Smore you are absolutely right, but i took the system for granted for one week and look what happened. Thanks for all of your comments and replies...

Wondering if i can make my hd a slave on another computer to retrieve data?

I was able to recover all the data off the bad drive by setting it as a primary slave and setting up another new drive as the boot...

Is it really as simple as connecting my HD (as slave) to the master HD ribbon cable middle connection and the computer should recognize the slave HD?

Again, Thanks for all of the support!

Yes it is simple. Your current hard drive is probably configured as Cable Select. If it is, connect the new drive as Cable Select and install it on the end of the IDE cable. Install your "old" drive to the remaining position, and boot your system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back