NTLDR is missing, press Ctrl+alt+Del to restart. Cannot install WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi fellows!

I apologize for bumping this topic (“NTLDR is missing, press Ctrl+Alt-Del to restart” )
But I really hope that this post with your help fellows will become ultimate place.
So, this problem is not so odd after all…

(This question lists one hundreds of sites when Googled, but no one of them as yet helped me – got even bootable diskettes and ended up with another, much more weird problem (“Incorrect value of bla-blah-blah for parameter SP2.cab”), so I think I’d better fix “NTLDR-problem”.)
Only this place gave me a glimpse of light…

Mindy, I think it would be very nice if you help future sufferers – kindly describe your algorithm for this particular “NTLDR-problem”.

Thank you very much.

Serikzhan.

PS: Looking forward to your answer.

I have had that problem a couple of times... once with win 2000... The only problem was to remove the floppy disk from my disk drive...

- If that is not the case then it has to do something with your boot sequence...

-If not that i remember having that problem when using a bad xp cd... (Was a copy of my original) but every thing went fine after I used the original copy.

hope it helps and Gud Luck...

Cyber

EDIT

Oh sorry ignore the top... i didn't notice that it was NTLDR i thought it was NTRLD.... anyways sorry for the wrong reply... i miss read... try looking around techspot there are other fourms on this topic... hope those help you better than me... lol

Good luck

Cyber

Hi, fellows!

Thank you for sympathy.

As to the problem with CD-ROM – I was able to run Knoppix many times, and see my harddisks also (they were blank, as I formatted them), so I suppose CD-ROM is o’k. Moreover (the most recent news):
1) I set BIOS to start from CD first
2) Restart comp
3) But my comp doesn’t seem to notice my bootdisk at all!!! It gives “NTLDR is missing etc.” both when there is bootdisk in CD-ROM and when there is not.
The situation is as follows:
1) there is a computer with formatted hard disk
2) there are 2 (!) bootdisks with XP and one with Win98, 6 floppy-disks with XP.

My question is:
As my hard disk is formatted, NTLDR or whats-its-name will not be in hard disk by definition, so when the computer (when set to boot from CD first and check motherboard second) is switched on it must search CD for this “ntldr-stuff”, but it simply ignores my CD-ROM (as it seems).

Thanks man, I tried those links long before coming here. But as the saying goes, if there are many remedies for a particular disease , then it’s more likely to be incurable…

Thank you very much.
Looking forward to your replies.

In my experience, this can often be caused by a different or incompatible partitioning scheme, usually associated with precisely how an HD is configured or addressed.

Example- a SATA drive on a system that can address SATA drives multiple ways (such as Intel ICHxR chipset/southbridge). If the drive is partitioned in UDMA 5/82801 chipset mode, but then first boot it's configured in SATA in AHCI/ICHxR mode (or vice-versa)... it'll do precisely this.

It can also be caused by 3rd party partitioning methods (Maxtor's MaxBlast or similar).

There are also many other things that can cause this issue and the fix will be related to the actual source.

If you can provide the precise motherboard make/model as well as the precise make/model of *ALL* media in the system (HD's and cd/dvd), from there we may be able to help more with suggested solutions.

Hi, Sharkfood!

Thank you for reply.
That’s what I’ve found out:

In CD-drive that came with computer (probably video-card drives or so…)
661GX/661FX series
SiS 661 Series Chpset, ASUS Motherboard.

That’s what one beholds when switching the comp on:
P4S800 MS SE

That’s in BIOS :
SM-Maxtor 6Y080L0
PM _NEC CD-RW NR-9500A

One more detail (I’ll finish soon :)):
When I got from Microsoft.downloads the aforementioned 6 floppydisks, they went o’k,
Then I was able even to select file system, and format hard disk for NTFS, after that – (I translate it from Russian) “missing or not valid value in information file (.SIF):
Value 0 in line of section [Source Disk Files] for parameter “SP2.cab”
I’ve found out that SP2.cab is a bunch of files in “I386” folder in WinXP bootable CD.

Can that be of help?

Fellows, please help with stepwise (going into tiniest details) algorithm to install Slackware Linux to my computer – how to do all that DOS thingy about creating “Linux native” and so on.
So that I may have at least one OS…

Thank you.

bad disc bad copy with bad slipstream of spk 2 or bootleg disk
could be why it will not boot from cd
sif file contains the id of OS version

Hi fellows!

Your unerring astuteness in this matters impresses me…
Now that I’m attempting to install Slackware Linux somewhere in the course of the installation process it told me that two partitions of my disk overlap. May be this caused everything.
But you see now I gave up XP, so I believe you fellows will help me to with Linux installation, even though it’s may seem real blasphemy to talk about Linux here :)

Thank you.

serur said:
But you see now I gave up XP, so I believe you fellows will help me to with Linux installation
Absolutely! Visit the Alternative OS forum here and we'll be glad to help however we can.

Fedora + Firefox + Open Office user. Love it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back