NTLDR problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T3h

Hi, My friend has had a with sound not working. Not knowing what was causing it i asked some people who said:

"Sounds like his NTLDR is missing or corrupt. Check c:\ for NTLDR. If it's not there make a new file with notepad named NTLDR. Put this in it:
[sound loader]
timeout=30
default=PCI"

I checked for the file and it is missing, however i asked where exactly to put the NTLDR file and someone posted:

"you have got to be f**king kidding"

Would this be because i didn't know where to put the file or because the inital answer was a joke?

Also if it was real where would i put the file?

Thanks

Some people aren't nice (ok.. most)
Anyway no you cannot just create and copy NTLDR like that

Forget NTLDR, lets go back, what exactly is the problem - Sound issue ?

Can you please state clearly again the fault here

Right, First they had a trojan in C:\System volume information but that was got rid of.

Since she got it her sound wasn't working and still isn't. All drivers are working correctly and i can't think of what the problem could be, Then i was told to check for NTLDR and nothing was found.

So i'm guessing this is the problem, but i don't know how to fix it

They meant run a check disk i believe

Which is:
Open My Computer
Right click on C drive
Select Properties
Select Tools
Select Check Now
Tick the top box only
Apply Yes OK Ok
Restart
Wait until checkdisk has finished - Windows will then startup

This is a good idea to do, but not sure it will fix your problem
----
What I think is (this is after performing the above)
Go to add/remove programs
Locate any Sound driver package (like cmedia or sound blaster - not Media players)
And remove them (if the driver program exists)
Restart
Then locate your Sound driver (usually on your M/b CD - but can be downloaded)
Re-install the sound driver

Test again

My friend said to say this

"There is no sound coming from my speakers even though audio appears to play. My speakers are turned on and working (I know because I can hear the static thing when I put my phone close to them). My speaker colume does keep changing to mute all by itself, but turning it off wont make any difference to the sound. None of my sound devices (or any other devices) have any yellow explaimation marks, and it wont give me the option to roll back the drivers. There is however a weird device on my computer called SCI/RAID Host Controller (I think that's the name, or similiar). I looked it up and it's somhow connected to the program Alcohol 120% - which funnily enough I can't install. I've tried uninstalling it manually, going through my registry edit and deleting some things that should of got rid of it. But I only had one of these files which was HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{E9F81423-211E-46B6-9AE0-38568BC5CF6F}. The other (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\32418F9EE1126B64A90E8365B85CFCF6) I didn't have. The program is still on my computer and it's the only thing I can think of that is causing the sound problem.
Also, I have avast! Antivirus and two days ago it said I had a trojan in my System Volume Information. I couldn't get to that folder, so I'm wondering if it's hidden itself maybe."

When they try the **** check they get the following message:

"The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed only by restarting windows. Do you want to scheduale this disk check to occur the next time you restart you computer."

When they click no then it says "Windows was unable to complete the disk check"

Should they click yes and restart now?

Have you tryed to reinstall the sound drivers? And NTLDR is a windows system file. Has nothing to do with sound. Also in the volume control panel make sure the other volumes besides the main arew turned up also like the wave volume. And double check in the program you are playing music with .. it also has a volume slider...that it is turned up.

After the check she told me "Display adapters >
and also SCSI and RAID controllers > SCSI/RAID Hos Controller both have yellow exclamation marks. They weren't like that last time I checked!"

She rolled back the VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP and the exclamation mark is gone.

What now?

Also windmill007, the sound is turned up all the way and she's re-installing sound drivers now.

I would also run a on-line virus scan and see what it finds and delete ... I usually like to use Housecall

Did you install Alcohol? Do you have it to reinstall? Is it in the add/remove programs that you can uninstall it? try right clicking on that device and cliick uninstall....does it come back?

Yeah alcohol won't uninstall and Housecall was what i was gonna suggest but forgot what it was called >_>

I'll tell her to reinstall her video driver with a newer one.

Sometimes when I can't get something to uninstall ... I reinstall the program first then unistall it again and it usually works. Maybe try that?

Ok i'm back

windmill007 is also lending a hand I see

"There is however a weird device on my computer called SCI/RAID Host Controller" - Disregard

Alcohol - Not involved with sound issue
But good idea to re-install and remove

windmill007 link for video driver
Do you have the original M/b Cd (this would be ideal)

Otherwise I need the computer manufacturer or M/B model and number
Operating System installed
Sound Blaster: card version (this actually will probably be part of the M/b drivers)

Erm hi, this is the friend with the sound problem.

Sorry for being an ***** but I'm not sure how to do this manufacturer/model thing so you're gunna have to explain to me like you would a three year old. n_n;

I don't have any of the installation CD things.

Thankfully a lot of cases are manufacturer cases it should have something like:
HP 5030 or Dell Dimension 1250 or something (these aren't real boxes I think)

Or if it's a custom made build the box info won't help
Ideally you could read it directly from the M/b (inside)

Okay I can't get inside it without turning my computer off and making a lot of noise (my mum'd probably come down and slipper me to death or something xD) but there are some stickers on top that have some info.
I know it's manufactered by iQon and there's also some numbers and letters under the serial/bar code thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back