ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrupt after windows update!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cris

Hi guys and gals,

Im running Windows XP pro x64 I have just run a windows update on my system.
Now windows won't boot, it keeps coming up with.(Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:)
(windows root)\systems32\ntoskrnl.exe.
please re-install a copy of the above file.

I have got the original install disc.
I have tried to do a repair,i can log into windows but im not real shure where to go from here if some one could help it would be great.

yep tried that and it has not made a difference, still the same problem.

I have also tried to replace the ntoskrnl.exe from the disc,but when I go into the directory of my cd rom it keeps telling me that dir systems32 does not exist on the disc.

I have got a second HD with vista on it. if i plug in the two HDs in,I can boot the vista HD and then go into the drive with XP on it and do a search for the
ntoskrnl.exe and I can find it. but I can't replace it or delete it.

Looks like another format. That will be about half a dozen in about 12 weeks.

could some one please help this is really jacking me right off.

I don't want to have to format again.

The problems appeared when you update? Maybe restoring your system to few days ago should be solved the problem (when the updates are not install yet)

Regards ;)

Windows won't boot,I cant do a systems restore! and I don't have a recovery disc.

Same problem here!!!

Bran new installation of Windows XP SP2. Everything running fast and perfect. Display drivers, sound, lan...all working perfect.

Then I download and install the 97 updates through windows update. it reboots itself and bam..."windows is corrupted, please insert windows xp cd and use the recovery console".

WTF? pls help. How do I use the recovery console? I inserted the CD and pressed R, then it goes to command prompt...what the hell.

Weird...vista here I come???

Hey Brent,

?Did you update through the auto updates or through the web site.

I recon its got somthing to do with this new anti-virus software removal tool that microsoft has released.

I have got two HD with NOD32 one one drive and avast and avg running on the second drive both with seperate operating systems on each drive,I update them every day and all three anti-virus programes are preaty good at picking things up.

I rang microsoft there onto it there ringing me back today to see if they can sort it out.

stay tuned.

Hey Brent,

?Did you update through the auto updates or through the web site.

I recon its got somthing to do with this new anti-virus software removal tool that microsoft has released.

I have got two HD with NOD32 one one drive and avast and avg running on the second drive both with seperate operating systems on each drive,I update them every day and all three anti-virus programes are preaty good at picking things up.

I rang microsoft there onto it there ringing me back today to see if they can sort it out.

stay tuned.

update.

My problem was a faulty corsair ram stick...as always 95% of these problems are ram related...sure wish they would get there act together (not nessecarily corsair). faulty or non-functioning ram sticks leads the way is diagnosing a problem by a long shot.

thanks for the response :)

Sorry about the double post I don't know what happened there.
hey it was a dodgy hard drive,bad sectors.
so there's another dive wreck for my fish tank!

bloody things 1 month out of warranty,and the mob that I bought it from don't want to now about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back