NTSC-J version of PS3 Region free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hynesy

I have seen many sites that sell the PS3 NTSC-J format stating that it is region free, while others stated the the region is unlocked so it is region free. My question is, is this posible, i live in Australia and thinking very seriously of getting a NTSC-J PS3 if in fact it is region free or can be made that way.
cheers
hynesy:wave:

From what ive heard is it's all region free because with bluray Japan and America are within the same region code(Not like DVD) Ive heard one rumor though that with Japanese consoles they will only connect to Japan gaming servers when you go online.

I live in Australia, will I be able to play game that are released in Australia, and do you think its worth it or just wait till march?
cheers
hynesy

As far as I'm aware from a couple of magazines, the situation is as follows: PS3 games are entirely region free. Any PS3 game will work on a PS3 anywhere in the world. However, they are the only media that are unlocked; Blu-Ray, DVD, PS2 and PSone games are still region encoded. Also, some online features may be restricted, because the correct credit/debit card from the region of the world the console was manufactured for is required to create an account and access premium content.

Have I got that right? I'd like to know, because PS3 games are set to be £50 in the UK, and since I can buy them from amazon.com for £30, even taking shipping into account they'll still be much cheaper.

Thanks or the info, I think I will wait till the Australian release of the PS3 before buying it, as i bought a xbox 360 3 days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back