NTVDM CPU error

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlsChill

Hi to all.
I run on Windows XP. I surfed the internet for a bit last night, next moment got two error messages reading c:\system32\musafx.exe and c:system32musafx\2.exe The NTVDM CPU has encountered an e legal instruction. The Pc gives me about thirty seconds and then just shuts off. Ever since every time I try and log in, it say's the same. Can someone please advice me on what's going on.

CarlsChill.

Google it and it doesn't exist. This points to some kind of random generated file name, which in turn points to malware. Your PC is infected with something nasty and you need to go here and post a new thread: https://www.techspot.com/vb/menu28.html. Read the stickies first.

Hi there, Checked it again last night. The error reads c:\system32\mustafx.exe and c:system32mustafx\2.exe I left out the T.

I found only a page of threads with that one at cnet (your other one) and another at computing.net. It looks like your pc is infected with malware, and possibly a newish one. The malware can be cleaned but as you've been told quite a few times you need to post in the "Security and the Web" forum, there are users there that are experienced with removing malware from Windows PCs.

If you still don't want to post there, then your only other option is to do a complete format and reinstall. Backup your important documents but be careful you don't also backup and reinstall the file that this malware originated from. So leave any dodgy warez behind. To avoid this kind of problem in the future use a non IE FREE browser such as Opera or Firefox and an up to date FREE antivirus program such as AVG or Avast. Also a good anti spyware program such as Spybot S&D helps to keep these kind of threats at bay.

That's all the help I can give you, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back