AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+, 2.2 Gigahertz with 1 GB of Ram. Windows
XP service pack2.

Is there any known problems with compatibility regarding my system and
the Nvidia geforce 7300 GT??

Example of problems:

Despite loading loads of codecs I cant run a single video file that
used to work fine when I had the 6600 GT (prior to its unknown fault
of course).
Another example: I have difficulty changing screen settings etc..

If anyone could be of assistance it would be greatly appreciated.

I would also like to know which is the better card and why (in
laymen's terms preferably), I have a suspicion my pc company is taking
advantage of my ignorance.

Thank you very much for your time reading this.

I can't tell you what is causing the problems... but I can tell you that depending on whether the 7300GT is GDDR2 or GDDR3 makes a lot of difference on the matter of being better than a 6600GT. If it is GDDR2, the 6600GT is better, but if it is GDDR3, it destroys the 6600GT. To find out, download ATItool and run it. Tell us what the memory clock is listed as but DO NOT CHANGE IT.

Also, a possible solution to the problems, update your video drivers to 93.71. If they are on 93.71 now, roll back to an older release.

thankyou MetalX

Did as instructed. 7300 GT has SDR memory. Not GDDR3. Do you have any suggestions on how to approach my pc company? I am annoyed, yet want to handle this in the best way possible.

I would have to say that the newer architecture, and GPU would make the 7300GT better. The 7300GT is similar in performance to a 7600GS.

I would keep the 7300, since it uses less power (Im pretty sure) has a smaller manufacturing tech 130nm vs 90nm I think, and has higher resale value.

Yea. I agree. a GDDR2 7300GT is around the level of a 7600GS, and a GDDR3 model is around the level of a 7600GT.

No the improved architecture does allow a GDDR2 7300GT to keep up with a 7600GS easily. The GDDR3 version can keep up with a 7600GT but as you crank up the resolution it (predictably) falls behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back