NVIDIA 680i SLI Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it will be enough to stop me from going to a 680i board. The overclocking abilities alone is enough to make me want one.

But the issues are pretty big, and far reaching. Nvidia is also admitting there is a major problem and looking at a firmware release to try and correct the problems.

I'm going to hold off on my new board until a few more makers release their boards and the waves settle.

I was considering that board before I went with the 590 from EVGA. I have to tell you that I'm completely satisfied with the 590. NVIDIA has included some nice software for tweaking everything; the cpu, the gpu, fans, RAM, all voltage, etc, along with a network monitor program which is pretty unique. I've had the system up for a little over a week now and I'm still playing with it. I'm completely satisfied.

I actualy have the EVGA 680i SLI board ( check profile ) and I had no troubles, Guess some people start doing insane overclocking on them and it makes them screw up or something :haha:

That's what I can't understand. If the 680i comes with the same type of software package that my 590 did, it's almost impossible to cook something on the board. The monitoring software will cause a reboot if the specs are getting dangerously out of whack. I know because I tried to run the NTune performance monitor through it's paces and oc'd a little too much. Automatically booted back up to the default settings as if nothing happened. Gave me the benchmark to stop tweaking at. I did lower it a bit just to be on the safe side. Even after oc'ing my 5000+ to 2.8, the temps are still within reason (98 farenheit idling/117 farenheit taxed in 3D apps).Of course my case has a fan, the EVGA 590 has a built in fan, the chip fan is huge and it helps that the 8800 GTX has an intake and exhaust fan to dissipate the heat as well. I think I'm fairly safe with the cooling system I have unless I want to try to push the system a little further, but for now, this system is nirvanna.

TimeParadoX said:
I actualy have the EVGA 680i SLI board ( check profile ) and I had no troubles, Guess some people start doing insane overclocking on them and it makes them screw up or something :haha:

No, that board appears to be overclocking very well actually. It is the serial ATA and RAID controllers that appear to be having the problems.

Sidenote: I had my finger on the "order now" button for my new system.... just didn't have the balls to do it. I desperately want a core 2 duo system, but .... I just can't pick my motherboard...... :(

(I had that eVga board in my cart at the time.... oh boy).

Bah.

I gave in and ordered my new system today. Went with the eVga board and a E6600. Should arrive in a couple weeks (no zippy service like newegg in Japan :( )

Good luck Don!

Tell us how it went after you got it setup ;)

Also what Videocard do you plan on SLI with that board? :haha:

For now I just bought a single 7950 (Asus). I am going to wait until the DX10 selection improves, prices come down, and games that need it come out, then I'll pick one of those DX10 bad boys up.

Ok I am considering the eVGA board too (got a cousin who'll be coming here from the states so I can get him to order it and pay him when he gets here). I am also considering buying two GeForce 8 series cards. What I wanted to know is that should I go for two 8800GTXs or will they be bottlenecked by my processor? In that case, would the GTS be a better option or should I wait for the R600 to release first?

What resolution does your monitor support? I doubt you'll need dual 8800 cards. If you are playing at regular resolutions you are just wasting money.

I agree with Don, There is no game today ( and maybe the future ) that will need Dual DX10 8800 cards because those things are already powerful enough with only 1 :D

I would wait for the ATI card Rage because those things will completely destroy the 8800 ;)

I'm planning to get my cousin to get this monitor as well. What do you think DonNagual? Should I get the GTX, the GTS or wait for the R600 to release?

It's all a guessing game at this point. The R600 is looking like it will be yet another great ATI card. Last I heard it is coming out at the end of January, then again, given ATI's track record with release dates, I doubt we'll see anything till March or so ;)

Personally I am NOT going to spend any money on a DX10 card right now. It just doesn't make sense to me to do so. There are no DX10 games on the market yet, so a high quality DX9 card is all you need. Like I said before, I picked myself up an Asus 7950GT for half the price of the 8800 card.

By the time the DX10 games start coming out (Spring?) there will be more cards to choose from, and hopefully prices will come down a bit. If you can wait, that's my suggestion for what it's worth.

Listen to Don

I got a 8800GTX paired up with a 22" samesung widescreen Cranked to the maximum res my monitor can handle (1680x1050) coupled with 16x AA and the GTX says give me more. And I have a X2 4200 939 with DDR 1 memory. I can imagine what Id be doing if i ugraded to a E6600 like Don, (yeah i have to get the balls like you don LoL)

I have to say though that from around 1280x764 to 1600x900 my fps stays around the same. An average of 89 in F.E.A.R

Basically the 8800 really shines at 16x AA and at high resolutions ? How high of resolutions ? Lets just say that the monitors that support it cost about the price of a decent Core 2 Duo setup and are 27-32"

Hmm alright. I guess I'll tell him to get them anyways. I'll pass on the 8800 for now. Let's hope ATi/AMD come up with something stellar this time, as they did with the X1900XTX.

Yeah

Id say that if they just released something as quick as the 8800GTX but was less dependant on a $1000 CPU to make it funtion at optimal levels they would be the instant market leader.

Like everyone says and what I know first hand, the GTX needs a Conroe 6700 to run at optimal levels of performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back