NVidia/ABit/Win2000 Headaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an NVidia GEForce2 on my ABIT Kt7a... It's caused me nothing but problems since I bought it.

I'm currently running Windows 2000 which plays a lot of games just fine. But recently Tony Hawk 3 came out -- it only uses Direct 3D. Now this would be okay with me, but the game doesn't run. I checked DXDiag and it reported this error:

"Direct3D test results: Failure at step 18 (CreateDevice): HRESULT = 0x887602eb (unknown error)"

Above that it says the usual:

"The file nv4_disp.dll is uncertified, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs. You may be able to get a certified driver from the manufacturer of the hardware device."

Oh that's lovely. I've looked around but have found NO other alternative than the drivers that I've found on www.nvidia.com .. I'd install XP, but it constantly freezes on setup.

I'm to the point where it seems like my only way out is a new motheboard---and boy do I not want to do that.

Has anyone experienced these problems? Or have an alternative to the NVidia drivers?

Thanks for _any_ help.
-langdon

Well, I just installed the newest detonator drivers (28.32) and they are very stable. I have gotten any freeze ups yet which is a good thing. I would do a complete uninstall of the current drivers, reboot and then install the 28.32's. You can get the 28.32's from www.guru3d.com. Make sure you download the modified one with the refresh rate fix.

did that =/

i actually completely reinstalled windows 2000 this morning -- threw on the 28.32 drivers, ran dxdiag and got the same error.

=/

Originally posted by svtcobra
How about a Direct X 8.1 re-install?

Im just shooting out some possibilites...

... And I greatly appreciate your help. :D

The Windows 2000 install I have comes with 7.0 by default. I just downloaded 8.1 (DX81NTeng.exe), rebooted, and tested Direct 3D again to find the same problem. Actually 8.1 doesn't doesn't get anywhere, while the 7.0 test successfully tested software-acceleration.

Strangely, 8.1 immediately prompts "This test will use hardware-accelerated Direct X 7 interfaces."

I'm wondering if SP2 does anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back