NVIDIA driver update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirei Blossom

Hi,

I've been having problems with my graphics card. It's NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX400 in Windows XP Home edition, and in the device properties I get this message:

"This device cannot start. (Code 10)" I tried uninstalling the driver and then adding it in again, but that caused the screen to go blank and then freeze.

Also, sometimes it prevents my computer from entering hibernation.. plus I can't watch any video as it moves too slow.. Does anyone know where I can download an update for this driver and how to update it?

Thanks!

I'm still having problems.. Here's what I do.

I downloaded the .zip drivers file to my desktop.. extracted it.. It came with a setup file, so I installed that.. it started restarting the computer.
After that, I went to the Device Manager.. Chose Uninstall Driver and it uninstalled, and then automatically shut down and started up again. Then it said New Hardware found and automatically installed my old drivers.

Then, I went to Device Manager again and chose to Update Driver. I chose "Have Disk" and selected the .inf file in the folder on my desktop. When I click OK, a message comes up saying "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware."

I've tried doing this many times, but its always the same. Whats the problem?

I had shut down the computer, and next time I tried starting it, all I got was a blank screen. However, I heard the Windows Start Up melody, so that means this was again just a driver problem. I opened up the cpu, removed the graphics card, cleaned it, and then put it back in again. This time, it started up fine..

I tried to update the driver again. I removed the old driver, (computer restarted, the graphics card automatically installed again), tried updating it.. but in the wizard that comes up, this time I chose the option that says "include this directory in search for the best driver that matches my hardware" and pointed to the directory. The wizard came up with this: Cannot Upgrade hardware because could not find a better match than the software you already have installed.

But my computer display is still being slow and laggy. And its impossible to watch video. Maybe I'm downloading the wrong driver file. Could you tell me exactly which one I need?

Even though for whatever reason your card won`t accept the new driver. Is it now working correctly with the drivers that are installed?

If not, then maybe the card itself is going bad.

Regards Howard :)

You should be uninstalling the graphics card driver through Add/Remove Programs instead of the Device Manager.

Oh, that might be it. I'm uninstalling it through the Device Manager.

And no, my computer display is still being quite slow when I scroll the screen up or down. I'm now downloading the driver from the link which howard_hopkinso gave.. Sorry, I was trying it from another link I'd found elsewhere. Maybe that was why..

It's a strange problem. I had this same problem sometime in December, but it fixed itself, and now its starting again..

I've heard there's a program you need to clean all traces of old NVIDIA drivers before updating a new one. Does anyone know what that programs called and where I could find it?

Ok, it worked this time! Thanks!

One question: Does the 'NVIDIA settings' icon always stay in the notification area in the taskbar?

Kirei Blossom said:
Ok, it worked this time! Thanks!

One question: Does the 'NVIDIA settings' icon always stay in the notification area in the taskbar?

Yes, but it can be safely disabled via the start up tab in msconfig if you wish.

If you disable it from running on startup and you find you want to use it again, it is available in your control panel.

Nvmediacentre and nwiz, are the two entries you can disable.

Untick them and click apply/ok. You will be prompted to restart your system.

I see these three in my startup tab which I think are related to NVIDIA:

NvCpl
Nwiz
NvMcTray

there's no NV mediacenter.. just want to double check that those three are the ones I'm supposed to be disabling.

You can safely disable Nwiz and NvMcTray(NV mediacentre tray). The NvCpl is the driver itself and should not be disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back