NVidia GeForce 6600 - Freezing and Crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a new graphics card for my built up machine (See the machine in my profile for details). Previously I had a GeForce MX 440, but it was old (the capacitors were crusty - the computer functioned fine but it would freeze and die whenever I tried to run Guild Wars or Aquamark 3 (a 3d benchmarking utility)). So I bought a new card. (GeForce 6600) I installed it, hooked it all up, but now the computer freezes or just up and reboots itself in the middle of the simplest tasks. What gets me is that it will run Aquamark brilliantly without a problem, even in the high-stress test. My hypothesis at the moment is that it's a software problem since the hardware seems to be working properly - but I've updated to NVidia's latest drivers and still nothing seems to be resolved.

After about two hours of this, I had to resort to some cathartic mass-murder on some console games so I didn't put a foot-sized dent in my case.

So in summary, drivers are updated, mobo chipset is updated, I'm going to try a firmware update tonight. I've got a 350W power supply, but I -do- have a lot of peripherals (2 hard drives, a floppy, a CD-RW and a DVD drive, and the PS isn't used to having to send power to the video card - the old 440 didn't have a power jack)

Another solution I've been considering is a driver rollback. I can't do it with my current system resources, considering the constant crashing (I mean seriously. I can mess around with Aquamark, but Hotmail crashes the thing.) and the last drivers I have are from the CD (also caused huge system problems, but MUCH worse than these) so I need to find a place that has older...newer-ish...nVidia drivers. Like, older stable ones. That worked, maybe.

Anyway, by the size of this post you can all probably tell that I'm quite frustrated. Has anyone else had similar problems or any feasible solutions that I might try? I really hope it's not a hardware issue - I just bought this thing and already having to fork over cash for a new vid card is trying enough.

Do you know your psu's specs like the brand, and amperages per rail?

A underpowered psu can cause reboots like you say.

You might also test your memory too, make sure it doesn't get errors, try googling memtest and running it for a while.

VNF, not offhand, I'm posting this from work. How would I find that out? Is that all on the sticker on the side of the POS- ...I mean PSU?

hello
i have change my ati radeon 9550 gragic card whit GeForce 6600 and i have serios problem to instal the drivers
The pc is shuting down.
i have Athlon 64 +3000 512 ram ups i think i found power suply 300w
i think i found the problem 300w
i whil try to change now whit 450w :angel:

i change psu 400w same think
when i try to reinstall windows at 34 minit lest are give black screen.
:hotouch: :hotouch: :hotouch:
are making me mad :giddy:

in final i put the Geforce 6600 in other pc and everything was ok
but when i start 3dmark2001SE the UPS 400W was screeming :evil:

3dMark 2001SE score
Ati radeon 9550 Vs, GeForce 6600
9230 10735
overclock
Driver OmegaAti not yet
:hotbounce 12429 :hotbounce

Status
Not open for further replies.