NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra and GeForce 6800 GT Chips Are A Winner For Doom III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

"NVIDIA Corporation (Nasdaq: NVDA), the worldwide leader in visual processing solutions, today announced that independent third-party testing confirms that the NVIDIA® GeForceTM 6800 Ultra and the GeForce 6800 GT graphics processing units (GPUs) deliver faster performance than comparable competitive offerings in Doom 3, regarded as one of the most highly-anticipated PC games in history. "

Basically, the general message seems to be that if you want to play DOOM III with all of the eye candy on (and you do!) then you need an NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra or GeForce 6800 GT to get the best experience, and that these cards kick sand in the face of any competition (i.e. ATI, etc.)

Do benchmarks ever lie? Has anyone managed to play this game yet on anything? I know its not out yet, but has anyone heard any "reports"? Of course, ATI claims a new driver will sort all of this out.

People keep tooting their horns about these graphics cards but I never hear about the prices of them which I assume is 1/4 the cost of a new PC at least. To play one game, don't expect me to go out and buy one. My Alienware Aurora is the last PC i'm buying. My next rig will be a console. Rediculous. The most expensive hobby known to man.

I'll play it next year when Doom III will be re-released in a "classic/budget" form & the 6800 cards will probably be on sale 2nd hand on eBay.;)

I'll play it right now on my killer machine that has three monitors, and I will laugh at you all ;) !

(joke)

Then I shall come & live at your place for the next 3 months !!!

You asked for it.:D

I've been doing my sums and working out when I will buy my new longhorn machine (probably in about 18 months to 2 years) and that one graphics card would top off the machine that I have in that case.

I am thinking then to make my last upgrade for my existing machine a Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB, which I think I might be able to get hold of for about £350. Maybe £300. I am planning to get this card in about 3 months time.

I'll probably pick up a copy of Doom III round about the same time, but I guess I might get it earlier just to see how it runs on the geforce fx 5700 I have.

Originally posted by HermosaBeach
Does Doom III actually work with 3 monitors ?

Dave

It could possibly supoprt 3monitors (or more) in the same way Doom did, by linking several computers together through a network and give each of them a certain POV to render.
(I'm a bit hazy on the details on how it was done, as I didn't have enough high-end computers to do it myself back in those dayes)

But if you ask if it will support 3 monitors on one machine, I think the chances are very slim. It could work, but then it'd have to be done by something like AlienWares "trick" (or similar) and not the game...

Overpriced!

I woud like to fork out £300 quid for a g-card but i only had £150 spare so i went for a GeForce FX 5900XT for the purpose of playing DOOM 3 and Half Life 2, boy i was not dissapointed, with the stock speeds they both ran fine on high settingswith antialiasing and antiosoptic or woteva they r called on lowish settings!

So to get more performance out of it i flashed the BIOS to a FX5950Ultra and it took the performance up a great deal , could then have all the antialiasing and antiosoptic or woteva they r called on high/ highest settings and they both ran fine! Needed a better cooler for the graphics card obviously but still only cost me another tenner!

I get 50/50 fps on Half Life 2with all the settings maxed out, not sure what i got on DOOM 3 but it looked amazing!

So you dont have to go and fork out 300 quid for a good g-card!

Cheers :slurp:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back