Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

haseebcash4u

Guys for some reason when i had my 7800 GT it was an awesome graphics card and it was really amazing and it blows my 8500 into the dust. I really dont know why i mean cause the 7800 GT is old now and it was pretty expensive but still runs games pretty good, but my 8500 runs a game pretty decent but not was well as my 7800 did. Guys can someone please help me out and explain to me the difference between the two and why one is better and one is not. I'm considering returning it and waiting for a better graphics card than the 8800 Ultra.

In addition...

When is the best time to buy a PC. By time i mean when new parts come out in a certain month and when prices are low

The 7800gt will be a good bit faster than the 8500gt. An 8600gt should be similar to a 7800gt, and if you want a card that's faster than the 7800gt, then look at 8800gts cards.

Regarding your second post, I don't know if there is a good answer, but now isn't a bad time, since the core2duo cpus dropped/will be dropping in price, and memory prices are pretty low as well.

vnf4ultra right now should i just return my 8500 and get an 8800 GTX or should i just keep it and wait until better parts come out

When you compare your video card specs, go to 'Tiger Direct'. On most every video card they have a "specs" tab to click on. Look up what those terms mean. After awhile you will just 'know' what graphics stuff is better from constant study. I just tried to look up a 7800 gt with no luck but I gave up easy (tired). I have a 7800 gs (AGP) GeForce and it's a very good card. (for gaming). Much faster than the new 8500. They are weak. Direct X 10 support is their stronger point, not their competitive numbers.

haseebcash4u said:
vnf4ultra right now should i just return my 8500 and get an 8800 GTX or should i just keep it and wait until better parts come out

It's up to you, but I think I'd return it if it can still be returned to get a better card. Eventually there will be new cards, like possibly a nvidia 9800 card, but I haven't seen much info on that yet, so I'd assume that it's still a while 'till release. That said, if the 8500gt satisfies your need(probably not), then you may want to stick with it for a while.

dear haseebcash4u,once upon a time i decided to buy an 8500gt,but for some reason i chose to stick to my geforce 6200,now i'm planning to buy an 8600gt as the price has become much lower than it was 2/3 months ago,the price will come down more in near future but when it will become cheaper,we will have cards higher than 8800gts in market which may force me to wait untill i can afford a higher card than 8600gt,this waiting for a better card seems to be ever lasting,in my case i've been waiting since the time of 6600gt,many of my friends are constantly thinking and looking for new cards,they are reading a lot of reviews, price comparison etc,only thing they have been missing are games....,anyway i have a small question to you,can your 8500gt run OBLIVION smoothly?

Return it, and do more research next time. As a general rule of thumb with nvidia cards the first number is just the series, the second number is what you should look at next. A 6800gt will beat a 7300gt but the 7300 has newer technology. Same applies with a 7800 vs an 8500, the 800 is better than the 500 for stuff like handling games. The 8500 has the DX10 technology and also does HD content handling on the card so the CPU doesn't work nearly as much as it would on the 7800.

Lesson: Review the Graphic card specs and compare to your old one then buy.

Question: Should i return it and buy an 8800 GTX?

And no ani it does not run oblivion elder scrolls smoothly it sucks ***!

And another question what power supply wattages are required for the 8800 GTx my friend tells me that runs hot like a ***** so should i just keep my 580 W or return it for something better

You'll probably be alright with your current PSU if it cost more than $35. I've got an 8800GTS running with a couple hds, and a couple dvd burners, with a e6400 CPU on a 485W Enermax PSU with no problems.

SNGX1275 said:
You'll probably be alright with your current PSU if it cost more than $35. I've got an 8800GTS running with a couple hds, and a couple dvd burners, with a e6400 CPU on a 485W Enermax PSU with no problems.

Well sngx1275 this is my power supply i dont know its actual value but tell me would this work well with my 8800 Ultra

http://www.cpusolutions.com/Images/AGI580W.jpg

Whoops nvm that's about 70 bucks is that ok?

I'm sorry man didn't mean to multi-post. OK this is probably the last question I have until later. I want to know if it's worth it to wait for the 9800 or should i just buy the 8800 Ultra. i mean when is that going to be out ? (it being the 9800)

I doubt it. There are no set dates for the 9800 as of yet, so it is all speculation. The 8800 in any form is an incredible card. What would you be needing an Ultra for? Even the 320Meg card is going to handle anything you throw at it at and below 1600x1200. So unless you are driving a 24" LCD or larger you probably don't need the Ultra.

The following is my opinion, I don't have any pure data to back this up: The 8800 was a jump in performance that to my knowledge has been unseen before between nvidia generations, so I'm not sure that you can expect to see that difference again when the 9000 series comes out. Plus there will probably be an 8900GT perhaps a GS version, and maybe even an 8950. They will probably take the performance of the 8800 and improve slightly and add in the extra HD decoding power that is seen in the lower versions of the card such as the 8600 and 8500.

That 580w psu you linked to, if I read it correctly has 2-12v rails,1@18a, 1@17a. If that is correct I would look for something else. For example my 305w psu is rated at 18a+18a on the 12v rails. 580w psu for $69.99=?

The 8800GTX uses 132w.

So wait kpo what ure saying is that it sucks or is it an ok power supply that can run an 8800 Ultra smoothly without any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back