Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512 review

Julio Franco

Staff member
With less than a week before retailers start selling the new G92 version of the GeForce 8800 GTS, we are sure many of you are keen to see how this new graphics card performs.

The GeForce 8800 GT was the first card released using the G92 core revision and as we found out weeks ago it features superior performance that nears the grand daddy GTX at less than $300. Unfortunately this outstanding product has been crippled somewhat by its poor availability which also translated in retail prices that surpassed its intended range. Even after two months of its initial launch the situation has not self-corrected.

The new and upcoming GeForce 8800 GTS 512 on the other hand is said to be shipping in large quantities already, and when released in less than a week should be available at the manufacturer's suggested retail price. We are hopeful this will be the case but for now we will simply focus on the performance and features of the new 8800 GTS 512.

https://www.techspot.com/review/79-geforce-8800-gts-512/

Please leave your feedback here. Thanks!

I would have liked to see the power consumption differences between this new 8800 GTS 512 and the old 8800 GTS 640. The benchmarks included it, why not power & temperature measurements?

One more GTS 640 question

Was the GTS 640 in the review the reference model with 96 stream processors? I'm asking because I just bought an EVGA GTS SSC which has 112 and supposedly slightly better performance.

Thanks!

GeForce 8800 GTS models that carry 320MB or 640MB are the older ones with 96 Stream processors.

The GeForce 8800 GT offers 112, and the newer GTS with 512MB comes with 128 SPUs.

The GeForce 8800 GTX also comes with 128 SPUs but offers a wider memory bus (384-bit) versus the new GTS and GT's 256-bit.

EVGA recently released a G80 GTS 640 model designated as the SSC version. It does come with 112 SPUs, but I assume from your reply it was indeed the 96 SPU version that was tested here.

Which is good to know...the reviews I've seen on the SSC version show it is roughly comparable to the 8800 GT at lower resolutions, and slightly faster at higher resolutions. Your review showed the GTS as being significantly slower than the GT, and since I recently ordered the SSC model I was concerned at the relatively poor performance.

Thanks for the explanation!

Imho that was a good review and it's gotten me up to speed with the GTS 512, I didn't even know it existed until yesterday :D

Top notch, Julio, mate :)

If prices don't stabilize in a week or so that will suck... then I would recommend to either get the GT or wait until February-March if you want a true high-end next generation card.

I Have this card, and i have already had to send it back to manifactures 3 times now, because the graphics card keeps going faulty.
There is apperently a fault with these cards..
My advice is stay away

Are you trying to be a *****? These things went out of production years ago and as if anyone would buy one today.

Back