Nvidia Gforce 5200 and PC restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

i've been experiencing some problems with my pc. i got this nvidia geforce fx5200 last year and my desktop pc is a PCChips 810mlr motherboard, 256mb ram (then, now it has 512), a AMD Athlon XP 1800+ at 1.53GHz and this geforce. It started all well but i pc is continuosly restarting. When i had 256mb of ram PC never restarted, then when i placed 256 more it began doing it, over and over. First i thought maybe the new ram is defective so i took the nvidia out and ran the pc on the onboard video card; PC works just fine that way, so ram isn´t bad. Then, i realized that pc didn´t restarted and after checking in the BIOS info at boot it was running the processor at 100MHz board frecuency. I switched to what i've always used, the 133MHz frecuency.

When i did that PC got restarting over and over again; both ram modules are the same type Markvision 133MHz DIMMs. So here's more strange stuff in five different tryouts:

1. If i place the nvidia, use 512mb ram, and procesor at 133MHz which gives the 1.53GHz, PC restarts over and over.

2. if i place nvidia, 512mb ram, procesor at 100Mhz which gives 1Ghz PC works juuuuuust fine, great! no restarts...but slower although..

3. If i place the nvidia, 256mb ram and procesor at 133MHz(1.53GHz), it works just fine!!! ?????????

3. if i take out the nvidia, use 512 ram and procesor at 133Mhz(1.53GHz) PC works juuust fine TOO!!! can you believe that?

4. if i take out the nvidia, use 512 ram and procesor at 100Mhz(1Ghz) works fine too.

One can say "maybe video card is defective"...but then, why it doesn´t crashes when procesor is running at 100Mhz ? does memory type at the motherboard conflicts with the one in the nvidia fx5200 ? it shouldn´t right?

One can say too, "maybe my motherboard is defective" but then, why it never happens when i take out the nvidia card?

odd behavior huh.....maybe someone could help me out a lillte bit understanding this problem.

thanks in advance.

You may have two problems here - the first started when you added the ram, the second with the graphics card.
Fix one at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back