NVIDIA + Windows XP = hiccups, except in games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!

I have recently installed a new video card in my laptop, an NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800. I HAD an ATI Radeon X300 Mobility (which worked fine) and I wanted a little more power.

I removed all previous drivers correctly, using uninstall, then drivercleaner,etc.

What happens is this: When I am in Windows doing normal things (web surfing, email, etc.) the screen will freeze for a few seconds, then go black. After another few seconds, it will come back and everything will be fine. There are no events written during this time. Every great once in awhile, the system will BSOD caused by nv4_disp.dll (the nvidia display driver) and reboot. I cannot see the substance of this BSOD because the machine reboots almost as soon as the screen comes up. I've even tried disabling the automatic reboot on BSODs but it doesn't work. However, I am attaching a zip file containing the minidumps from this problem. I imagine they are all mostly the same.

I've tried many different drivers and many versions of each driver. I do not believe it is a hardware problem, as the problem does not persist in Safe Mode. The temperature of the video card is mostly 45 - 52 C, as is the motherboard chipset.

Now for the kicker: this problem goes away when playing a DirectX game like Battlefield 2 or Command and Conquer. As long as I play the game, the system will run fast and smooth with high quality settings!

Here are the latest errors from my event viewer (system):

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040206.

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 80070422 from line 44 of d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

The run-time environment has detected an inconsistency in its internal state. This indicates a potential instability in the process that could be caused by the custom components running in the COM+ application, the components they make use of, or other factors. Error in d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\comsvcs\package\cpackage.cpp(1184), hr = 80070422: InitEventCollector failed

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040206.

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 80070422 from line 44 of d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

I've initiated a clean install of windows xp and the problem persists even then. I've done a memtest and everything checks out. I do not believe it is a hardware problem though, because this is the second card i've gotten. The first one did the same thing, I thought it was a hardware problem, I sent it back, and the new one did the same thing!

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sick of tearing my hair out.

Dave

nv4_disp.dll is indicative of driver problems. Dunno how to fix this one though. Have you tried googling? And how exactly did u get the gfx card on ur laptop replaced? AFAIK, they're usually soldered to the mobo.

I have an Inspiron 9300, and no, they aren't soldered to the motherboard. Actually you have to take apart the case, but its some kind of proprietary slot. Fairly easy to do. Yes, I've googled this out the wazoo. It's such a strange problem, I don't know what else to do. I suppose I'll try AGAIN to get a replacement, but who knows, it'll probably do the same thing.

BTW: How do you analyze minidumps? Do you need Visual Studio? Do you (or anybody else) have any experience with this? I'd like to be able to figure out what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back