Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've tried installing the game and keep getting this message:

feature: oblivion
component: oblivion
file: D:/data7.cab
error: the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

Anyone know what the issue might be?

It could just be you have a bad spot on your installation CD (which happens to hit the file data7.cab on the CD). Or it could just be a dirty CD. Have you tried cleaning the surface? Get a disk cleaner solution and when wiping use a soft clean cloth in straight lines across the CD when wiping.. not in circular motion.

You can check the CD for errors using a freeware tool. Here's a link to DiskCheck from Emsa

the disc is spotless, i used the diskcheck that was linked and even that froze at 83% when it was scanning data7.cab.... weird no?

Ummm...

If DiskCheck could only get to 83% how can you say the disc is spotless?! ;)

Actually, a .cab file is a "special" type of file. It actually contains many other files which have been compressed and placed inside of the .cab.

I've seen DiskCheck "appear to freeze" on a .cab file before. In particular, a .cab file which happened to have a disk error within it. How long did you wait before deciding it was "frozen"? Let it run (I mean a loooong time, like an hour) before concluding its frozen... And even if it were to freeze, I think it still indicates something is wrong with that disk for it to freeze in the same file as your install declared an I/O error.

Post back after you run it again. am curious to know

oh.. sorry i should have also told you
  1. Before starting another DiskCheck test, always best to open/close the drive door first
  2. Under options, check both Pre-Scan and Flush Cache. Pre-scan will tell you the disk statistics (total number of bytes, files, folders) before it runs the deep scan.
  3. Best if you're not doing anything else on your computer while it's running until it's done with its test.

I decided to create an .iso image from it and mounted it with magicdisc, miraculously it worked as far as installation but stupid me I have an intel 945gm video card which doesn't support tnl graphics so oblivion won't work. However I tried using oldblivion which should have worked since my card is apparently compatible but I still get an error message and a little white screen when I try to start it. I'm troubleshooting at the moment but if anyone has any advice as to what might be a solution then that would be appreciated.

iso image = good idea!

i'm stumped and curious as well... hope you find a solution (and post it here when u do)

Ahahahaha my problem was the oblivion patch (I overlooked that the first time)
at first I didn't use one, then I used the v1.2.... later found out oldblivion requires the v1.1 patch but it wouldn't overite the v1.2 so I had to uninstall and reinstall oblivion and patch it with v1.1 and it finally worked :D

intel

i have the same problem it is not a problem with the computers stats it is that oblivion won't run with intel graphic cards.i know this because i called the tech support up for oblivion and they said that oblivion absolutely will not run with intel graphics cards no matter how good the card is so the problem is you need to get a different graphics card other then intel

installation error

when i try to install oblivion it will let me start downloading, but then it says error access denied and it doesn't tell me what to do. and i did copy the files from the CD Rom and it copied to hard drive to problem so i don't know why it wont let me install the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back