OBLIVION: Worth buying? Not an RPG gamer here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirock

Hello all responders:

Like the title says, I'm not an RPG gamer, but I've read a few reviews and this game seems to be winning a lot of praise. Is this game something that an FPS gamer could like? What are it's pros/cons? Do I have to spend 52 weeks playing this thing to get to the end?

Thanks and Cheers.

You don't have to like RPG's to like the game. It's more of an action/adventure/RPG. You can play as little or as much as you want. There's one main quest and then tons and tons of other side quests. I'm only doing side quests now, and then I'll do the main story.

Hi,
This is the first RPG game I am playing in my life and trust me I don't even feel like I am playing RPG game. It's just like a regular first person shooter game. It's an awesome game and you shouldn't miss this game if you like first Person shooter games. You might have to do little bit of a reading when you creat your character and choose 7 major skills out of 21, becaue that is the most important thing in the game.
And I think there is no end to the game because there is tons of stuff to do but there is a major quest that you can just do. It'll take about 20 to 25 hours to finish the major skill, but once you start playing the game you will want to do everything.

kirock said:
Do I have to spend 52 weeks playing this thing to get to the end?

Thats the great thing. You can climb to the top of a small guild (takes a few days) and still feel satisfied. I have owned the game since its release date, and have not finished the main quest...Why? Because i dont care, im having so much fun exploring and fighting.

That said, the main quest is good (as told by my brother who finished it) and its pretty lengthy (if you play without cheats) but it nver gets dull, or drags its feet.

Well it does sound like it's worth buying, just for the change of venue. I do like the sound of "self-evolving" the game, which the reviews I've read said it's quite capable of.

Is that as true as they say? Can you really direct the flow of the game by the actions you take as much as reviewers claim?

Cheers, and thanks for the input guys.

I'm hooked as well. I love the fact that if you see a mountain WAY off in the distance, you can decide to go and climb it just to see what's up there.

I've put about 40 hours into the game. I will say this (just to give a different opinion), it is starting to get old. The graphics and gameplay are truly amazing, so it's worth it, but after a while all the caves, all the rooms, all the people... they all look the same at this point....

I've never played anything except first person shooters, but after all the hype I had to try this game, if for nothing else to see all the great graphics. Just to walk around and look at all the scenery is astounding. There are so many things in the graphics that you don't expect, like when the day turns to night and you look up at the moon, and it's actually slowly moving across the sky. And the view distance is nothing short of amazing to me, especially when you download and install a couple of mods that make it look so much better. Maybe there are other games that look this good, but if there are, I haven't seen them yet.

I've only been playing seven or eight hours, and am having a great time. But I kind of agree with DonNagual, a lot of the caves you go into, you get the feeling you've been there before. It might get old after a while, but I'm not to that point yet.

Anyway, in my opinion, this is one game that you can go as fast or slow as you like and still have a great time. I'm not sorry I bought it.

Update: Oblivion purchased

Well, I'm outta the sewers and into my 1st small town Brauma(?). The graphics are way cool, but as I feared I hate malee fighting, the physics just doesn't feel right. Maybe I just don't know how to battle axe someone to death (never have I guess), so I just press and press and press and press and press and press and press and press and press and press the attack button. :D I ran out of arrows in the first little cave you come to after getting out of the sewers (it has the 4 tents at the entrance). The "bee ach" in there was killing me badly bc I couldn't use any attack weapon on her. :)

Anywho, I'm a Brenton with crusader skills ( but Kirock has no malee skills whatever sadly enough). (thank God Brentons can heal themselves).

I will update in a few days when I get a deeper impressions.

Cheers guys and thanks for the input. The game is really stunning visually and I really like the whole day to night and back thing, that was a nice touch.

kirock said:
Well, I'm outta the sewers and into my 1st small town Brauma(?). The graphics are way cool, but as I feared I hate malee fighting, the physics just doesn't feel right. Maybe I just don't know how to battle axe someone to death (never have I guess), so I just press and press and press and press and press and press and press and press and press and press the attack button. :D I ran out of arrows in the first little cave you come to after getting out of the sewers (it has the 4 tents at the entrance). The "bee ach" in there was killing me badly bc I couldn't use any attack weapon on her. :)

Anywho, I'm a Brenton with crusader skills ( but Kirock has no malee skills whatever sadly enough). (thank God Brentons can heal themselves).

I will update in a few days when I get a deeper impressions.

Cheers guys and thanks for the input. The game is really stunning visually and I really like the whole day to night and back thing, that was a nice touch.
I have had this game since it's release date too, and it rocks. you should try creating your own custom class. that's what i did. i made a ranger type class that specialized in Blade, Light Armor, Marksman, Athletics, Acrobatics, Sneek, and Security. I hardly ever die, and have never had problems with money in the game. My race is imperial. No, i haven't cheated eather. As with any Elder Scrolls game, your best off creating your own class that best fits how you want to play. if you need some tips on the game give me a hollar.

BTW, try holding the attack button, you will do a power attack.

Are you playing on the PC or the 360?

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back