OC 7800GT Load 92C-95C Too hot? Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Lee

I'm wanting to OC my videocard but I think its too hot. Its on stock cooling. It is a eVGA 7800gt 468/1097 Which was stock. The temps are 55C Idle and 92-95C underload. Is this too hot already, or Do I still have a little room to increase?

Ok, I'm a *****. When I cleaned my case to get rid of dust, I did not think to take the top off the Videocard's cooler, and clean out the dust. (There was a lot.) now my card runs 46C idle and 64C underload.

Ok, I wasn't exactly sure which program to use. I heard You can use ATItool so I used it and now my videocard is 483/1188 and the temps are 46C idle and 70 or 71C underload. This is good right?

cool, I used to play all the time when It was 92-95C, but It made me worried when I tried to OC and it hit over 100C. So I knew some thing was wrong, oh and my idle temp is not 46C its 42C.

The GPUs can withstand the heat better than CPUs. Nvidia's GPUs tend to have a slowdown threshold around 130-140C (check the driver's temperature monitor).

Mictlantecuhtli said:
The GPUs can withstand the heat better than CPUs. Nvidia's GPUs tend to have a slowdown threshold around 130-140C (check the driver's temperature monitor).

The threshold is 115C at default. Thats why I was getting a little bit worried.

The overclock on the core is not going to be noticeable. The memory seems to have overclocked fairly, but you should either try to get more MHz out of the core, or put it back to stock, because there's no noticeable performance advantage by overclocking the core 15MHz.

When I clock the core more it shows a few artifacts, Why can't I go any farther Without showing artifacts? I've seen people's rigs on the internet with their's OC to 521/1200, Is their's showing artifacts and they don't care about it? I tried to get my core to go to 500, but it show artifacts.( a lot).

They might have just got lucky with the card they got, or they might have water cooling. You should have no artifacts at all when you overclock, and if you cant get it much higher you may have just lucked out.

The core is at high as I can 483MHz, I have no luck, I did get the memory up another 27MHz, so its at 1215MHz. Better right? anyway, that is as far as my luck goes. >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back