OC Dual Core E6600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, Just wondering what is the max i can OC a E6600 too? I have Swiftech watercooling on standby so yeh i have all the nessercary requirements for it, including a Asus Striker Extreme with 2G Corsair XMS C4 Pro RAM modules

The limit depends on the CPU yield quality, memory, mainboard and devices connected to it, so there's no absolute max speed answer.

The only way to find out is to increase the speeds until you get problems, then decrease until you don't.

welcome to TechSpot grima :)

nobody can answer that question but you. the maximum possible overclock will be limited by your hardware, your cooling, and you're own "personal" limits.

• hardware - no two systems are the same. each CPU is unique, each RAM stick is unique, etc. etc. even if your hardware is the same exact model as another system, the results will not be exactly the same. also, you need to make sure you have a good strong high-quality power supply. you'll never be able to reach your high overclock if you're using a cheap PSU

• cooling - water cooling [in most cases] will allow for a higher overclock than air cooling, but at best it can bring your temps a couple degrees above ambient. watercooling used to be considered 'extreme', but now that commercially made pre-built watercooling kits are available everywhere, it's pretty much mainstream (for enthusiasts at least). the point is, you'll never reach the maximum possible overclock on water cooling alone.

• "personal" limits - your maximum overclock will also be limited by how far you are willing to push it. the only way to "safely" overclock is to leave the voltages at their default values, but to reach a high overclock you'll need to raise them. the more you increase voltage, the closer you get to frying your CPU and other components. every chip/component will have a different voltage tolerance, there is no way to know what yours can handle until it dies.

your maximum overclock will not be the maximum that the CPU alone can handle, but will be the maximum that your entire system as a whole can handle. that includes all three factors mentioned above.

good luck with your overclock :wave:

Dont overclock it too much, I did that one time and my computer caught on fire ;)

Just overclock it but small integers at a time, Keep a eye on the SpeedFan program to see if it gets a Fire picture :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back