OC E6600, Asus P5B, Patriot ddr2-1067

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchiseen

Okay, i just wanted to double check that im a noob.

I have a Asus p5b, with core duo e6600 and patriot 1ghz ram. the ram is currently running at 800mhz or somthing, and everything is stock. timings are the 5.5.5.15 factory settings on the ram.

I think that means i should oc the cpu and ram to be

6x500 and ddr2 1000 but i dont know. i want the ram to runat the ghz, and i would like some oc on the cpu, as i've got a big typhoon 120mm sink on it, keepin it chilled.

thanks for the impunt~!~!~

the core2's o/c great, but i doubt your memory will be able to keep up. increase the FSB clock in small increments, verifying that the system is fully functional after each increase. before long, you will get to a point where the system crashes upon boot or will not POST. you may need to reset the BIOS, so make sure you know how to do that and that you write down your settings. once this happens, revert to the last clock speed that worked. run memtest to ensure that the system is really functioning properly.

in addition to increasing the clocks speeds, voltages can be increased to allow for higher speeds. increasing voltages will cause a lot of extra heat to be produced, and a dramatic increase can damage/destroy parts. i wouldn't mess with the voltage until the system has stayed running for a few days with a maxed-out FSB. leaving the voltages alone is a good idea for novice overclockers.

overclocking can irreparably damage and/or destroy your hardware if done wrong, so it's important to be patient. remember that you are going to need to keep close tabs on your CPU and northbridge temps during the entire process. if you see temps that exceed the mobo's specs, back off. even if the system seems to be running fine, heat will, in time, kill it.

it would not hurt to consult some online literature on overclocking and to familiarize yourself with your mobo's manual and BIOS.

thank you very much for your help!

i wonder why you say that my RAM wont be able to keep up... it's got loose timings, but it is supposed to run at ddr2-1067... and its patriot, and what i've read patriot is pretty talented ram.

i understand that voltage means heat. i monitor using the intel util as well as the asus one. im fairly confident with the temps. under load it rarely gets to 52-53 C. idle it's around 45, but it's summer here in AUS, so i am also considering that effect.

i have tried slowly upping the fsb, and currently it's running at 300mhz x 9 =2.7ghz.
i have the following settings
PCIE=100mhz
PCI=33.33
Voltage cutoff = 1.4
voltage=auto
ram settings all auto, determine by SPD enabled.

so far i've come across a few problems. i cant get the cpu to 3ghz, which i read should be easy without touching voltages. in bios, i hit f10 to save, and it shuts down the machine, powers it up, the mobo beeps once and then it doesnt do anything. i have to turn it off at the PSU to get it to post. it then says my OC failed and asks if i want to reset defaults or enter setup.

my other problem is that my ram isnt running as fast as it should be.. i dont think.
cpuz says its running at pc2-6400 (400mhz)
the memory tab says
freq; 300mhz
fsb:dram 1:1
5-6-6-18

i dont get it.

ive read elsewhere that someone with the same mobo has had success manually config' the ram, but it doesnt work for me.

ive seen fsb=460
ddr2920
mem V = 2.25 (mine only goes up to 2.1V)
vcore=1.4
fsb=1.4

and the ram at 4-4-4-12

on air. any ideas why my ram just wont work any faster? i know i've bought the loose stuff, but 2gb of the tight 1ghz ram was just too much.

thanks again and thanks to those who have yet to help!

ram is generally less tolerant overclocking than your average processor, particularly one as good as yours. try using 5-5-5-12 timings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back