Odd FPS Drop - Can't figure out - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This problem requires a little back story, so here we go, if you don't want to read it, summary below:

I woke up one day to find my computer frozen, tried to hard reboot, was sent to boot up menu, and no matter which option I picked, computer kept restarting. Figured my HD had failed, it was about 7-8 years old, went out bought a new HD and since I couldn't find old XP, bought XP Home SP2. Attempted to install windows on hard drive, didn't work, had to F5 at RAID F6 message and select APCI. Prior to the HD crash, I could play CS/WC3 with 99-100, and 50-70fps respectively, using a Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440. After reinstall, CS drops to 60 fps whenever I look where animations would be coming from, regardless if it's behind a wall (a la aim_ak-colt). Warcraft 3, fps dropped to low 30s and sometimes mid 20s. Went out, got a new gfx card, PNY Nvidia GeForce FX 5200. Tried both games, same results. I've used memtest 86 and ultimatebootcd to check both my RAM and my CPU, no errors. My 3d mark score was 84. Resolved all shown driver conflicts (in device manager), have tried reinstalling, have tried Windows, graphics card and performance tweaks to no avail. I'm stumped, any help would be much appreciated.

Summary:
-Woke up to frozen computer
-Wouldn't boot up, sent to boot up option menu, restarts regardless of choice
-New HD + New Windows XP Home bought
-Freezes at "Setup is starting windows"
-F5 hit, "APCI" chosen as opposed to "Standard PC"/Auto-detect
-Prior to HD crash, could play CS/WC3 quite well
-After install, FPS drops by 40 whenever there is high animation (even though animations have been set to lowest quality)
-Bought new gfx card, same results
-Tested ram, cpu - passed
-Resolved driver conflicts
-Be sad

Computer Specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2200+ (AGE: ~6years)
MOTHERBOARD: Albertron KX400-8XV (AGE: ~6years)
RAM: (Forgot brand) 512 PC3200 (AGE: ~6years)
VIDEO CARD: GeForce 4 MX440 (Old, Age: ~7-8years) // GeForce FX 5200 (New)
WINDOWS VERSION: Windows XP Pro (Old) // Windows XP Home SP2 (New)
DIRECT X: 9.0c
VIDEO DRIVERS: Tried a variety, from old to new, currently running 91.47
SOUNDCARD: Creative SoundBlaster Live!
Harddrives: Maxtor 200 GB (Brand New - New boot)
WD 80 GB (Old, age: ~7-8 years - Old boot)
WD 250 GB (Age: ~2-3 years)

My guess, from things I've read leaves me with either an IRQ conflict, directx 9.0c conflict, or soundcard conflict. I hope I've been thorough enough, hope someone out there can help! Thanks.

I had the same problem with my CS FPS going on average 20-30 sometimes dropping into the 10 range and it was my processor. Try using cpu-z and see how fast your processor is going.(sorry no link for cpu-z but if you search for it you will find it) I have an AMD 3200+. It was going very slow, like around 800 MHz. It was overheating because of dust build up. Try dusting out your comp. If that does not work, check your bios settings to see if you are underclocking your processor.

Ran CPU-Z, it says I'm running at 1799.99mHz so I don't think it's that. Perhaps I didn't completely resolve my soundcard issue, the "Found New Hardware" doesn't pop up anymore, and in Device Manager, it's no longer an exclaimation point. However, It's still a question mark under "other devices" and only called Multimedia Audio Controller, as opposed to SB! Live as it did pre-format. Maybe that's it? I don't think it'd be under clocked as I never changed anything after I built the computer, and it used to run fine, I will, however, check it after writing this reply.

Attached is the log from CPU-Z. Perhaps its my RAM? It's running at 200mhz.

Attachments

• cpuz.txt
    25.6 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back