Odd noise on bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

NV30

Started about a month ago, on bootup I get what sounds like a fan going from high to low rpm and vice versa for about 30 secs. I isolated the CPU fan, but what else could it be? HDD?

They're running cool at about 24* so it sounds doubtful, but any insight is appreciated.

I'd agree, and this is something that needs to be taken care of, because I have had a few PSU's go out because I neglected the fans only to find out there was about 3 inches of dust on each blade :eek:

do you have FanEQ enabled on your Abit NF7-S? i had your situation happen with my northbridge fan and cpu fan on my Abit IS7 with FanEQ on.

maybe that is causing the weird rpm fluctuations with your fans.

Interesting thought about the PSU, that's actually quite possible. I removed the disk from my DVD drive, no difference. What exactly is FanEQ? Enabled from the BIOS? Since I've never seen it before.

I tried blowing dust out of the PSU, there was almost nothing in there. I did turn off my PC to check a loose IDE cable, when I turned it on for the second time 5 mins later, the noise was slightly less (?)

You might also want to check disk fragmentation. If it is badly fragmented, then the initial load on the HD while booting windows could sound similiar to a fan problem.

Still haven't defragmented, I know, it's pathetic. Anyways, I now notice the noise when jumping between windows quickly, it's almost like a metallic click.

Defrag, see if it goes away, if not you may have a dying HDD. Noises that you hear during disk access are not good(well any grinding or clicking anyway)
As was previously stated, sometimes heavily fragmented drives will make noises that sound similar to that of a dying drive. If it goes away after a defrag then all is usually well, but if it keeps making the noise, it will likely need to be replaced.

Defragged, no difference. Ran the Data Lifeguard tests, the drive passed. Maybe the NB fan or my video card fan?

How about checking if all your drives (CD/FDD/HD) are properly mounted with 4 screws each (tightened)?

Apart from your CPU-fan, disable all other fans, then attach them one by one, then reboot each time to find out if it is a fan (or not).
Disconnect the power to your HDs/CDs and try booting from a floppy. If the noise is gone, you (nearly) have your culprit.

my hard drive sounds like a WWII era prop-plane on startup -- on COLD mornings. after a minute, if i reboot, it sounds fine. thoughts/solutions?

S.M.A.R.T. Check

If your hard drive supports it, run a S.M.A.R.T. check on it. I had a similar situation and found out the hard way that my hard drive was close to dying (and it did).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back