ODD problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantombadger

My ODD SH-S183A

I believe its a Sata related issue. I've looked around and a few guys got their s too work by disabling Raid; I cant. Raid isnt enabled on that sata port though. also an update of sata drivers is recomended, tried and nothing. Firmware same deal. It is set as the default drive for windows burning, but the discs wont read. installed and tried Nero7. Preformatted Media is Fine. but Blank discs will not read.

can anyone help?

Blank discs will not read. when trying to burn, it says insert blank disc, I do and it spits it out asking me to insert a blank disc.

What was the outcome?

Phantombadger - did you ever find the cause? A friend of mine has recently bought this same drive and he seems to have a similar problem. I insert any blank disc (DVD+R or DVD-R, different brands) and Windows won't detect it (usually hangs Window until I remove the discs).

Tried another drive

hey Tmagic650 - since I posted my message I installed my Pioneer IDE DVD burner on his machine which experienced no problems so it does seem specific to the SH-S183A. It was just strange because someone else had the same problem and the SH-S183A is brand new!

The worse thing is that he bought this because his old IDE burner was not working properly. What are the chances of having to completely different burners not work?

Anyway, I'll be going back to the shop to replace it. Thanks for the reply!

Update

We haven't had the chance to swap the burner over but I'd just like to comment on some tests that I made.

My friend's computer that is having the problems is a P4 3.0GHz on a Asus S5-P800-VM motherboard. I tried the SH-S183A on another machine with a 2.13GHz Dual Core on a MSI 965 Platinum and the drive doesn't seem to have these same problems.

I have updated to the latest BIOS on the Asus S5-P800-VM (v1023) but this hasn't made any difference. I have basically isolated everything (removed software, the other CD/ROM, stopped pretty much most non-critical services) but still can't get it to work.

I am pretty certain that there's a compatibility issue here with the new SATA drives and the Asus S5-P800-VM. I will try a few more things but I'd say I probably won't get it to work on his machine.

Just thought I'd share

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back