Odd sound problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormBringer

Odd problem I have here. Yesterday the sound was fine, but today I opened Winamp to play some music and I noticed that some of my mp3s seemed to be corrupted (has a strange distortion in it) . I checked the files by copying them to a disc and played them on another machine and they were fine. I checked my sound settings and everything was still like I always have it. After I checked all that, I opened Winamp again and this time all everything sounds corrupted. I checked all Winamp settings and made sure everything was the way I keep it. I then opened some of the wav files from the system, they also have this problem. I tried testing sound schemes in the Sound Properties and it all has the same problem, as do every other sound my computer makes(like clicking links and dialog box sounds popping up). I played a couple of movie files(mpg and avi) they made the horrible distortion too. There seem to be two things that are immune to this, the Speaker Setup in AudioHQ and PowerVCR.

Anyone know anything else I can check or what might cause this?

Well, I doubt it is the soundcard because the output from my Tuner card connects to the Line-In on my Soundcard and as I said PowerVCR plays the TV fine.

I thought about a virus and checked NAV for updates, then ran a full system scan and found nothing.

Does PowerVCR use DirectSound? Try lowering sound hardware acceleration (or whatever it's called), run DirectX diagnostics on sound.

I'm not sure if PVCR uses DirectSound, I can't find anything to indicate what it uses, only that it gets the sound from Line-In. I assume it does because PDVD does. I already tried running DXdiag, I did that while I was checking all my settings, also tried lowering Hardware Acceleration while I was checking settings.

Nothing seems to work. I'm about to try another card I have and see if it works.

Changed the soundcard and still the same problem. I also tried another PCI slot. I'm pretty much at the end of the rope here.

I think I have tested and checked everything I can.

System Restore was my last best hope and it didn't fix it either. Whch pretty much rules out any settings or updates(of which none had been made anyway)

I'm clueless on this one. I know you have a few systems lying around, so I might suggest taking out the hard disk and putting it into another one... Then try playing the audio files using another installation of Windows.

Alternatively, you might even want to copy some music files over your network (if you have one) or play them from the network using a different computer.

I do believe this will rule out corrupted music files IF they work. If they don't work, you may want to run chkdsk/scandisk and get a second opinion from a different virus scanner because this sounds really fishy.

There could be something wrong on a system level, such as Windows Audio service or Direct sound. That's really strange though.

This is getting even stranger. Last night I did some routine cleaning, Temp files, IE cache, and ran Norton's WinDoctor to clean up orphan files(only problems it found was a few shortcuts and registry entries that needed fixing). After that I rebooted, and all sound is back to normal.

Well at least it is working better now, but that was a very strange problem. Maybe an ancient relative was visiting you, and didn't like your music type :confused: ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back