OE 6 address book won't export to .csv file

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to export my Outlook Express 6 address book to a .csv file so I can use it with Earthlink Webmail (that is the only fornmat Webmail accepts).
I follow the standard export procedure, and I get an Excel file with all the email addresses in proper order--but about three quarters of the name boxes are empty. The names appear normally in OE. I've gotten nothing but head scratches on this problem from a number of tech friends.
Any help greatly appreciated. (Win XP, SP 1)

Are you sure its not really exporting as csv? csv files will be opened by Excel unless you have another spreadsheet or database program installed AFTER you installed Excel. Open up your C drive and go to tools -> folder options -> view -> and make sure the "Hide extentions for known file types" is unchecked.

My guess is you are exporting them as csv, and then double clicking then and excel opens. That is normal behavior. What you need to do is open up your Earthlink Webmail and then Import that csv file.

Thanks

It is converting to a .csv, and shows that extension. When I try to import it to Webmail--directly from its folder, not opening Excel--Webmail says "fields are missing" and that is it. I suppose even if the names were showing up I would have to go through and fill in first and last names in OE for the occasional address that doesn't have them. Seems like Webmail could be smarter about that.
But the fact remains that most of the names don't show in Excel--and I have no other spreadsheet program as far as I know--and, besides Webmail, having the address book available in Excel would make printing it easier (If you print directly from OE it puts about 5 addresses on a page and you would quickly run out of paper). Why would some names appear and not others? They are identically entered in OE.
Thanks for the reply SNG.

In Outlook you can choose the fields when you export, its called Map Custom Fields. You might be able to play with that a bit and get it to work, or at least not leave some fields blank. Also, I'm not sure if this makes any difference or not but choose the other CSV type, you can choose from DOS and Windows. Try whichever one you aren't trying now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back