OEM vs RETAIL of Windows XP Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've searched around, and I couldn't find any issues on this, so I decided to post it up. If there was an issue like this, I apologize for reposting.

I'm thinking about purchasing a new license for Window's XP Professional, but I'm not which one should I choose. There are some that say RETAIL is better and there are some that say OEM is better, so I'm at the point where I can't think anymore. If any one has an idea of which has a better worth of buying, please do share your idea.

To me, I feel that both OEM and RETAIL are the same, since they function the same, by means of installing the OS Window's XP Professional. The difference that I could tell between them, or at least have heard is RETAIL can be used on more than one computer (one at a time, not simultaneously) and OEM can only be used on your computer that you have with the same motherboard and other devices. For some reason, I want to go for the cheaper, but the RETAIL seems to be like a nice back up, so I'm not sure about it. If anyone would like to share what they feel, please do, since I want to know quick. Thank you!

Generally OEM is supplied with a pc and is often altered so that it will only work with the brand of pc it was supplied with whereas the RETAIL version has a much larger driver information database and should be compatible with almost any pc!!

As i said, it is general and not always the case! But on the whole a retail version is better because of the driver information database!!!!

OEM & Retail are pretty much the same but with OEM you do not get any manuals, etc. You do not get support from Microsoft as the OEM version is meant to be sold by a computer manufacturor with a support service of its own.

I also believe that the OEM version once installed on a computer, cannot be installed on another one (even when removed from the first one). Once installed, it is "stuck" on that computer.

If you are buying an OEM, make sure it is made for the type of computer you have, (eg. If you have a dell, buy a OEM disc made from dells), that way you shouldn't have many problems with drivers

OEM & Retail are the same in that aspect. When you get a windows install CD from Dell, it only has windows on it, no extra drivers. That's why they bundle extra CDs with the proper drivers & applications with that windows CD. They don't slipstream the drivers on the install CD.

I can't see y not. Haven't done it myself but there isn't much else different about it other than drivers. But then again it is Microsoft, who knows :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back