Offensive emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice

Daily, I am getting half-a-dozen or so email ads all offering male organ enlargement cream....I know it IS a good laugh, but the novelty wears off after the second day, so far I have received around 20 in 4 days.
I tried replying, but it it came back, "address unknown, probably false"
They are addressed to six people, I sent to all six, asking them if they had received the same, so far thy're coming back as false addresses, another odd thing all addressees are of the same IP as mine, "whsmith" etc.
I always value your support, has anyone else experienced this? of course I delete them straight away, there are no attachments, they seem genuine ads. but it boring,boring,boring.
I shall expect you to ask if any mates have sent them, I could understand this if I was young, but....................!

Maurice,

I get them too. I have installed mailwasher (www.mailwasher.com). One of the features is that it bounces back any emails you tell it to. Since installing it, I notice that the amount of spam I receive has been reduced. You can download it for free if you only need it for one address.

Good luck.

Jeff

Maurice,
Spam-rule number 1: NEVER ever reply to any unwanted/unsollicited email. That way they know they have found a real email-address, with the consequence that you will get even more junk and spam.
You can set up a filter in your email-program that will block any mail from addresses that you don't want.
Look around for MailWasher (free).
Sorry, got to go.

Going after addresses you find in spam heades is absolutely pointless. You can count on the e-mail addresses being fake or traps and tracing the hostnames would serve no purpose either because even those can be faked. Sending mail to any email addresses you see in spam is just begging for more. And if you are dumb enough to actually click on some links.. Well, you deserve it.

Above stands for real spam of course. If you receive unsolicited mail from a rspected real company, you can usually trust them to remove you from their mailing lists via the appropriate link and the contact addresses may even be valid.

Maurice, the correct address for mailwasher is www.mailwasher.net. Sorry for the incorrect one above. As everyone else has said, NEVER respond. All you are doing is confirming that your address is good. Mailwasher "bounces" the emails back so they think it was sent to an incorrect address.

Thanks, jshields13, I'll try mailwasher, & be more guarded regarding replying & links, I do know not to open attachments, at least you are polite, as for Nodsu, you might have the "grand" title of Chancellor, but your bluntness & rudeness is as evident as ever, if you can't be more easy on an old guy, don't bother to reply to my queries, you might be smarter than me, as regards modern technology, but you still have a lot to learn regarding communicating.....I am NOT dumb!
....Moderators, are you moderating?

Originally posted by Maurice
Thanks, jshields13, I'll try mailwasher, & be more guarded regarding replying & links, I do know not to open attachments, at least you are polite, as for Nodsu, you might have the "grand" title of Chancellor, but your bluntness & rudeness is as evident as ever, if you can't be more easy on an old guy, don't bother to reply to my queries, you might be smarter than me, as regards modern technology, but you still have a lot to learn regarding communicating.....I am NOT dumb!
....Moderators, are you moderating?

Ahhh, pay him no mind Maurice......you're just experiencing the Nodsu we all love.....though some of us wouldn't mind using him as a dart target once in awhile. ;)

If you read through it all, you'll see some good advice. Nodsu might be a bit opinionated but overall he's a good bloke (most of the time). :D

Well, if it means anything, he didn't call you "dumb" directly... It was more of a round about thing. I don't think his intention was to call you dumb... He's quite civil usually. :) Although blunt.

OK guys, if you have to live with the "Estonian", [well he might well be British, living there]I guess I can ignore his worse bits, & take notice when he makes sense [which he does] It's probably me being "the old guy", & hey, you people shouldn't be defending him, admirable as that is. 99% of the TS "gang" are brilliant, thanks all [& Noddy!!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back