offline pagefile configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

mMiniImManN

I have a 2000 machine that wont boot due to it setting the pagefile to a random partition upon setup. Now that partition is gone, and it doesnt boot for me to reset the pagefile location.

Is there anything I can do besides format, such as an offline pagefile configuration utility to fix it?

Doesnt make sense..the Boot.Ini could care less about a pagefile....what else did you tweak??..;)

I'm not talking about the boot.ini file... the system thinks the pagefile is on a partition that doest exist, therefore, it will not boot because it cannot find a pagefile....
No boot.ini involved whatsoever in my problem.

By installing the Recovery Console on W2K, you'll be offered this option whenever you boot up. And if you forgot to install it, you can get to it by using the 4 installation boot floppies and choosing the repair option.
To make those 4 floppies (if you don't have them), insert the W2K-CD in your (or another) PC, go to the BOOTDISK dir and use MAKEBOOT.EXE from DOS or MAKEBT32.EXE from within Windows.
The Recovery Console can be pre-installed by running the "WINNT32 /CMDCONS" command from the W2K installation CD to place the files on the local hard disk. This option requires approximately 7MB of disk space on the system partition.

mMiniImManN said:
I'm not talking about the boot.ini file... the system thinks the pagefile is on a partition that doest exist, therefore, it will not boot because it cannot find a pagefile....
Since when does a Win OS need a Pagefile to Boot ??...Suse maybe..but not Win.

triplate said:
Since when does a Win OS need a Pagefile to Boot ??...Suse maybe..but not Win.

Ever since Windows 95. It is also known as swapfile.
If you set your PC NOT to have a page/swap file, it will work without one.
But once it is set, it is required to be there, otherwise Windows cannot boot.
Also, certain programs require a pagefile, they will not run without one, regardless of how much physical RAM you have.

"If you set your PC NOT to have a page/swap file, it will work without one." ...i misread your post..I agree....but i,ve never seen a boot.ini look for a pagefile in order to boot...;)

Triplite, read his post again:
mMiniImManN said:

His PC is set to use a pagefile, but that pagefile is/was on a HD or partition that no longer exists.
Repair or Recovery Console is the only option.

As I advised elsewhere, split your pagefile, 10mb fixed on the W2K partition, the rest anywhere else. That way Windows always has a pagefile. Its size is not important at such a (critical) moment.

That sounds a bit wierd. If there's no Pagefile, then Windows XP should be creating a temporary 1. I've seen this myself after I changed its location to a new drive & then had the drive disconnected a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back