Oh My... Consumer Product Safety Commission issues warning over 'exploding' Samsung washing machines

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung, still in the midst of a major recall involving its new Galaxy Note 7 smartphone, seemingly has another issue on its hands.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) said it is actively and cooperatively working with Samsung to address safety issues related to some of its top-load washing machines. The potentially faulty washers were manufactured between March 2011 and April 2016.

When it rains, it pours.

Samsung essentially echoed the same sentiments in a statement, adding that in rare cases, affected machines may experience abnormal vibrations that could pose a risk of personal injury or property damage when washing bedding as well as bulky or water-resistant items.

Neither the CPSC nor Samsung would say exactly which washing machines are affected. Instead, you’ll need to enter the 15-digit serial number located on the rear of the machine on Samsung’s website to determine if yours may pose a risk. Samsung did stress that front-loading machines aren’t impacted.

Earlier this year, Samsung fielded a class-action lawsuit from customers that said their Samsung washing machines had exploded. According to ABC News, there have been 21 reports of machines exploding since early last year.

In the interim, Samsung recommends affected users wash all bedding, waterproof and bulky items on the delicate cycle until a permanent solution is ready.

Permalink to story.

" Samsung recommends affected users wash all bedding, waterproof and bulky items on the delicate cycle until a permanent solution is ready."

Take it back to store and get a refund? Sounds like a permanent solution to me. Stopped buying samsung products after many displays and a tv died right after warranty expired, seems like I made the right choice. Also funny fact, biggest electronics shop here gives year shorter warranty on samsung products than others, been so at least a year before all this note 7 crap.

Does Samsung do contracts for militaries or demolitions too? Seems like a recent mix up in components...

Their OK as long as you empty the bullets out of your pockets before adding them to the wash.

So many product recalls lately... I have a dryer (not samsung) that is on a recall list due to fire risk which got fixed today as it goes... And to the credit of the mechanics who came out to replace the rear panel with a redesigned part noticed the bearings were on there way out and replaced them for free, even though they weren't part of the fire risk/fault, which was good of them and saved me the cost of a repair call out.

In Australia Samsung has had to replace six different models of top loading washing machines sold between 2010 and 2013 because they caught fire or exploded. They have also had to pay the reasonable laundering costs of affected consumers as they can no longer use their machines as they wait for replacement or refund. 144,000 affected machines were sold in Australia and around 200 burst into flames. The recall was ordered by the Fair Trade Commission in 2013 and was mandatory.

Back