Ok I been out of H.S since jan

Ok i Love computers since i spend alot of time on it
so i figure that i want to persue a career in it. Is the computer insdustry a good place to make it big. My biggest dream in life is to have a nice family and no money problems so i mean is this the right way to go?
anytips from people who already have a good career in the computer industry?
lately i been thinking of careercenter.com
is that the right way to go?

Well I wouldn't say I had a good career in computing.
To be honest I think I missed my vocation and should have studied something else at uni. Sorry if I'm not much of a help. Lots of computing work is still being outsourced to india and the likes so its not the best of times to get into computing in my opinion (at least not in support/programming/systems analysis). Might be better in Network/Administration etc though.

What Arris meant is lots of jobs that you could get in the computer industry aren't in the US or Europe anymore, they are in India (trend is reversing depending on where you read your news), which is why he said that part of the computer industry isn't the best to get into right now.

Big companies are a joke. If you plan on working for Dell, IBM etc.. You might get paid decent money, but job security is pretty poor with ANY big business, aside from high-level management. But that's the case with any industry and any business.

I also guess it depends on what you are planning.

Obviously, there will always be a need for computer repair for as long as computers are around. Also, there will always be a need for tech support, for as long as people don't understand computers. And of course, there will always be a need to own / manage the facilities that provide this services.

So the business itself is here to stay.. It's not a fad and should be a secure job to have. You just need to find the right one for you.

Atlhough I've been doing the first option, computer repair, I have decided to go with the third option, which is owning my own store.

For repair, I'm clearing anywhere from $500 to $700 a week. I have a relatively secure job, but maintain a lot of responsibility. Now, this money is okay, but it won't make me rich anytime soon. ;)

So, I am opening a new computer store / repair shop with a friend (hopefully it will go well). Of course, I wouldn't do this if I really thought it was a bad market to get into.

It's true that big companies have moved partially overseas, but isn't that the case with ALL big corporations? Cars, electronics etc.. I think if you stick to small / medium sized business, you will have a good, secure job. You might not get rich, but if you are skilled, you should get paid decently for your talents.

And there's always that "risk factor". If you don't take risks, you probably won't hit it big, so to speak. Opening a store could be a huge mistake for me, but if it works out, I very well could be planning an early retirement.

As with anything though, management / executive positions always get paid more. Computer repair / support is a trade skill which usually earns hourly wage.

Back