Old Laptop, what do I upgrade to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all I just got an old HP OmniPoint laptop for the meantime . Its about five years old. It has windows 98 on it now 64 MB of Ram/ and like 8 gigs free. I want to upgrade this laptop. Can I go to XP? or upgrading 98 SE just as good?

I'm afraid if you are planning to go XP, you'll need a bit more grunt to that laptop, if upgradable at all. Typicaly (although not always) Winxp needs P3 or greater, 128mb RAM (256-512mb recommended), and a bit more hdd space than that, if you want to install much programs or store anything on it. If you can get your hands on the 98SE then it should suffice..

But i wont rule out it wont work, just that it would be extremely unbearably slow.. even if you turn off those effects and eye candy..

So do I need a standard Windows 98 SE CD or does it have to be a Windows 98 SE Upgrade CD? Also, you think it can handle or 2000 or ME?

You aren't going to want to put XP on it with that amount of RAM. You could possibly squeek by with 2000 on it, booting up would take longer than 98 but once on the desktop speeds would be fairly similar.

XP will run on it, I've ran it on a P2 300 with 128 megs of ram and its been ok, but 64 will be pretty slow.

The price of RAM to upgrade that laptop is going to likely cost half to 3/4 the price of a new lower to mid range laptop from Dell. May be worth looking into just a new laptop, sometimes there are incredible deals you can run across.

Another thing to consider, if you are staying legal with your OS, the price of RAM plus an Upgrade CD for XP will likely cost you the same as a new laptop with OS included.

You're going to want to stick with Windows 98 and no matter how much RAM you put in the thing, it will never run well with XP. The highest step I might take it too is with 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back