Old mp3 player with broken headphone jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know someone wrote about a headphone jack in a laptop, but I wanted to know if anyone knows how I can repair a headphone jack in an old mp3 player. I have an RCA Lyra rd2820 (purchased in 2001 or 2002). Even though the thing is big as a brick, I have grown attached to it. I have tried soldering(sp?), but it didn't work. At first, the audio had a lot of static, then after soldering, the audio had static and a warbling quality. I have also tried different headphones. I am out of ideas. Is there a place I can buy a new headphone jack or a place that can do the repairs? Can an audio shop help? Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

I doubt a shop would even entertain the idea of fixing it, it is possible to buy a replacement socket and fit it yourself. It all depends where in the world you are and how good at soldering you are. I'm know by all of my friends for fixing things, from toasters to pc's so if you want more advice i will do what i can to help.

Even though there may be places where you can get it fixed, it will not be worth it. Unless you are willing to spend about as much money as a brand new mp3 player due to being emotionally attached to it. (boy you have some life getting attached to an mp3 player:p). It will probably cost $50 for labour + parts (which will be hard to get)...

You are looking at around $200 for a brand new 20gb mp3 player (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=2000210000&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0.

I hope this helps (even though you may not be happy with my suggestion)

regards,

Korrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back