Older PC-No Post & replacing h/ware not fixing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working on an older Gateway, Celeron 733MHz. No post beeps when I first got it. When hitting power button, PSU fan comes on, there is no case fan/CPU fan, I can hear the HD spin, monitor has a no signal pattern, but seems to shift colors slightly in the pattern when I hit the power button. Have stripped each component one at a time and tried to boot, same thing. 2 sticks of RAM, tried with each one by itself, and swapping slots, no change. Tried mobo in and out of case with same result. Tried with known good PSU of higher wattage, same result. Have purchased a replacement mobo and CPU from a reputable reseller, tried different combinations between the new/old CPU & mobo, no change. My final thought is replacement CPU doa. Anyone have any suggestions? Not sure if I have anyone local that can test these old CPUs.

Thanks for any ideas!

MasterCaster00 said:
tried different combinations between the new/old CPU & mobo

Very brave, you may have hurt your new stuff

And very thorough post

You state that CPU found to be faulty
But did old M/B with new CPU work ? (I'm not asking you to try this though)
ie is old M/b ok in your thoughts ?

As for what to do with old parts (dead CPU in this case)
I was reading a topic that someone washed (!!!) their Video card in detergent, and after fully drying, it came back to life !
I have never tried this, but once you have confirmed Dead the usually throw away.

By the way do not try water on M/b unless all power dispersed from caps

Thanks for the reply. I first tried new mobo with old CPU as I figured the CPU was not going to kill the mobo. No change. Then tried new mobo with new CPU, same thing. Then tried new CPU with old mobo, same thing. Would lead me to believe CPUs are bad, since old/new mobo didn't work with either CPU.

MasterCaster00 said:
Then tried new mobo with new CPU, same thing.
So it still may be:
Motherboard
Power Supply
Ram
Keyboard/Mouse/Monitor (have to cover everything)

So it's not confirmed yet
Therefore don't wash yet !

Tested with a known good PSU, so shouldn't be that.
Tested with each RAM stick seperately, and with swapping slots, also w/o RAM would it still not give me a POST beep error?
Keyboard/Mouse/Monitor all work with a diff. pc.
Don't have any good pc repair shops around to test components.
Anyone know if Worst Buy/Circuity City do any kind of component testing on older components?

necessarily. You could have aged capacitors in the board which would make it non workable and/or your CMOS battery is dead.

That is what I was thinking with the orignial board, but all caps looked fine, no expansion. Tried new board 1st anyways. With no go on the new board/old proc, than tried the new proc. No luck at all. Trying to find someone to test the older procs is becoming a chore!
Thanks to all for their replies.

Don't have any good pc repair shops around to test components.
Anyone know if Worst Buy/Circuity City do any kind of component testing on older components?

Does Best Buy/Circuity City give you full refund within a couple of hours of purchase if the computer stays dry? Just kidding.

Nice update to this, got the old motherboard new processor to boot after setting the CMOS jumper to the clear position. Shut down, moved back to run position and set BIOS, now it boots fine. Had previously pulled out battery which I thought would have done same thing, my bad. Also of note, tied booting again with memory out and this board does not seem to issue any post beeps at all, with no CPU, no memory, no drives, it just won't boot at all. Strange. Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back