Oldie but a goodie, Electronic popple...but why must it freeze on me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neowizard

(me, talking without any real point)
Like every other old SOB (old O_o?) I love anchint dos game, and one of the best (as I'm sure some of u agree) is Electronic popple.

well, having a pre-95 game on a 2004 PC don't seem to match up all too great...infact, it took me almost half a day to just get the sucker working at a crapy lvl (and then a single H to make it nice and smoth)...

(problem)
then my luck got scarwed up-side-down and I lvled up, which would rock, if it didn't end up with freezing the game.I get the new gloves, the life upgrade, and even the icon next to the hp bar changes as I lvl up...but problem is that I freeze and so do my enemys (thou I don't have much prob with my enemys letting me kick'em while they're down). Now, the game don't freeze at all. The icon next to the hp bar still moves (and he gets really bored really fast), the weather FX still move, and even the lifts do...but not me or my enemys.

I would love any kind of help on the matter (looked everywhere with not a drop of luck)...

I'm using the Dosbox emulator 0.63 (sound set to off by game setup)

PC specs (they don't matter much cuz of the emulator, but u may just know something I don't):
AMD athlon 64 3200+ socket 939 (not overclocked)
gigabyte M\B GA-k8ns-939
win XP pro (not the 64 build) SP 2 ( an' all that mambo jumbo update stuff)

(I guess u don't need any other specs...if u do, just ask)

tnx for all who help in advence
Neowizard

I remember that game :) Used to run it in real MS-DOS myself..

Did you try the audio CD trick? (Put any audio CD in the drive to make the game happy).

Instead of DosBox, you could try VDMSound or a true PC emulator like Bochs

I actually did try to make the him happy (read that audio CD idea somewhere), and the respons was quite insulting, apparently my CDrom don't like my taste in music

it didn't help much, and to ad up some "lets all get bummed" to that not so great of an attampt, my CD got crunched into shrads when I extracted the CD try (when the try was on it's way out something hpnd and the CD got stuck to the inside top of the CD-Rom...wasn't nice...too a long while to clear up the mass)

but I'll try that VDMsound emulator, sounds promising

thanks a milion

Well...I tried that VDMsound emulator, and then a few others (god only knows what were ppl thinking when the wrote the code for those..."things"), but there was absolutly no change in the effect (except the speed was terrible in most of'em...including VDMs Emu).

I even got the game working without an emulator (I dono what I changed...one day it don't and another it does...strangest thing), and the same problem just keeps on coming.

I'm really dumb-struck here...it donsn't look like an emulation prob, and the sound is set to off anyways. So what's the matter?

even if u got no solution, and can only help enlighten me about the problem itself, I'd be greatly thankful.
Neowizard

Hi NeoWizard. I'm new here :)

Anyway, I tried out Electronic Popple again yesterday, and was searching for ways to get the sound (Not the BGM) when I saw this thread.

I tried playing Electronic Popple on Windows XP pro SP2 without any compatibility. Works fine, just that the game lags at certain areas and the game registers the controls slowly at times. (Image repeatingly tappng th right-arrow button just to get Min/Max to run :( )

I played till I leveled up. No problems with leveling.

Let me post a pic of Min in Level 2. (Had to take pictures using my camera, since DOS didn't had a printscreen.)

Min Level 2

Note: It was really hard taking shots while playing the game :p

Well...then I guess the prob is not the emulator or PC...it's probebly the game file that's gone to the great PC in the sky (;....bummer u can't get that game anymore

Anyways, tnx alot for that info, at least now I can stop looking :p

Neowizard

p.s, enjoy techspot :). and for ur Q, u might try and use an emulator (as I see from what u say they work gr8 with the game), most recommanded is Dosbox if u ask me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back