On-board USB q?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is ti possible to use 5V power from molex to power up my on-board USB because i think there is something wrong with the power.I checked the cable connection couple of times and still the same message "Usb device has malfunction" when I connect device like my joystick to another USB it works fine.

You can try.. There is a good chance of smoke emerging though :p

You should start with making sure it's not a Windows/driver issue. Use a Linux CD and a USB mouse to test.

Connecting a stub usb cable and measuring the voltages coming out of the port is another thing you should do before going and breaking anything.

You mean both the USB devices and the molex use 5V? Yes, that is true.

But how do you know that the 5V from the PSU and from the mobo are exactly the same? If you connect the wires you may end up with your mobo trying to enforce 4.9V and your PSU insisting on 5.1V.. Not nice.

It's not about stabilising. It's about shorting two wires with different potentials.

What you can do is: cut the VCC line going from the USB controller to the USB port and connect the +5V from the molex to the port instead. Assuming the molex ground and the USB controller ground are not very different, things should work. That is if the USB controller doesn't expect the devices to draw current from VCC. Don't know that much about USB.

Jesus.. You are eager to break stuff. Just don't blame me when you end up with fireworks on your desk :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back