On/Off Switch Problem...I think

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a problem with turning my computer on. Actually, its on in some capacity because I can hear the fan running. But I'm having difficulty getting any further along than that by using the power switch.

What I have to do is unplug the CPU, wait a minute or 2, and plug it back in. Then the switch works. But once it goes back into hibernate mode, I'm stuck again.

Admittedly, I'm far from an expert with computers so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Okay, as soon as I figure out how to turn off hibernate I'll get right on it.

As for the power cord, I unplugged both from the power strip and the computer.

hibernate:
Control panel > Power options > Hibernate tab
-uncheck the Enable Hibernate box...

Hibernate is now de-activated, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. What I've found is that whether the computer goes into sleep mode or I turn it off completely, I can't get it to power all the way back up. The fans come on, the machine's humming.....but nothing is happening.

However, every time I unplug it from the wall outlet and plug it back in I'm able to boot it back up.

maybe due to a number of things.. sometimes most common are drivers or programs become "stuck" when you try to sleep/hibernate.. try updating all drivers and windows updates, close any opened programs and see if it makes any difference..

do you use your power button to turn off your PC? check that its not on sleep setting in the power options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back