One image over two screens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
no, i think you misunderstood me!

i've already got 2 monitors set up. what i want to know is, as in the picture i posted, how can you get one image to spread across both screens?

this would especially be useful for a split-screen vertical racing game, for example.

In Display in control panel

Go to Settings Tab then Advanced

In there you should be able to locate this option
Sorry I do not have dual screen so do not have the exact steps

Your video card manufacturer web site, will have steps in doing this too.

I don't have Vista but in the Nvidia Control Panel isn't there a "Setup Multiple Displays?"

yes, there is, but it doesn't give me the option to spread a single image, for example a desktop, across the two screens.

the options are:

>only use one display (one screen only)
>the same on both displays (clone)
>configured independantly from each other

In order for that to work, you need to setup the monitors in a twin-view configuration. Let's say you have two monitors with a 1280x1024 resolution, when you enable TwinView they will both act as a single monitor with a 2560x1024 resolution. In that type of configuration, when you'll pick a wallpaper you can have it stretched over the whole desktop.

I run 3 screens (no I am not bragging, it is just so useful!) and there are some apps that will run across all 3 and some that will not. For example, the screen saver will, if set say to 3D flying objects, wander across all 3 screens but the desktop will not - you get an image per screen.
All MS apps will allow you to drag the window across all screens (but not if maximised). Some older apps have an attack of confusion if you try this. I have yet to get a game running in any form of DOS box to run on more than 1 screen.
Some graphics management software allows you to set how the screens function - as mirror or extensions but not all - and this varies between cards from the same maker.
Hope this helps.

kimsland said:
Post #6

If it doesn't exist, upgrade your video drivers
it didnt give me the desired option. i'll expand on this later when i get home.

so, the truth is, is that most apps / games don't cater for this function yet.
this is a pity because multiplayer gaming could benefit greatly from this.

the fact that i cant think of even one game that makes use of a possible twin screen setup is a shame. i suppose you could put it down to not many people having more than one screen, but implementing the option inside 'game settings' would at least encourage people to maybe try buying another one.

maybe the answer is long monitors instead. this would effectively be two monitors together,
but would be better simply because it is one.

thanks, but as mentioned, i always use two monitors at once. have done for a long time.

the problem is not being able to have one image spread over two screens

The image attached to the first post in this thread is a desktop background image. I have discovered that by using the Nvidia software I can manipulate the background to all me to have different images on each desktop so in theory I could split an image and have each half on a screen. The software is a tedious mess to work with and with no manual to help.

this will do it for ya

For NVIDIA only......
go to your "Control Panel" and then "NVIDIA Control Panel" if u dont have it download it (and dont get it confused with the NVIDIA desktop manager as ppl often do)
there should be 3 options in the next window being : "3D Settings", "Display", "Video & Television". you want "Display" .....then under "Multiple Displays" you should see a option for "Change display configuration".....
you should then be able to see options for single display , clone display , horizontal span , vertical span and duelview.....if you have been using 2 screens whith the same background on both and the start bar only on 1 then you should have alrerady have selected duelview....depending on wether your wanting horizontal or vertical select the relevent option.....you may need to switch your primary screen if its not already on the left or top..................if this dosent work you obviously done something wrong (or your pc is totaly screwed)

hopefully this helps every one who has this same problem too

{WDS} Lukamus

tizerist said:
i've already got 2 monitors set up. what i want to know is, as in the picture i posted, how can you get one image to spread across both screens?
That image is just a wallpaper. You can get Windows to show wallpaper like that if it's big enough and set as "tiled" in background settings. Otherwise you'd have to use a 3rd party utility for it.

If you want different pictures in monitors, just add them together with a image manipulation program and set the background as tiled, it'll start from the primary monitor's upper left corner.

this would especially be useful for a split-screen vertical racing game, for example.
Many games work fullscreen only in the monitor set as primary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back