Only have DVI ports, but have a VGA monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papercut_2008

My graphics card has two DVI ports, but my LCD monitor is VGA. I tried using an adapter, but it's not working. How can I use this monitor on this computer???

Try a different monitor or one with DVI in. Those adapters work, so my guess is your problem lies elsewhere. Either your PSU can't handle the power requirements of your new card, or some bios configuration issue not sending video to your new card (if this is even a new card).

Going to need a few more details on what you've done and how you've determined that it is the adapter that doesn't work.

I am trying this on a Radeon 9600 XT, which has both VGA and DVI. The reason I was trying the DVI is because I have a new computer on order with a 8800GTX, which only has DVI. I have tried a different VGA monitor and had the same result, but I don't have access to a DVI one. My PSU is 450 watts, and the adapter came with the current card, and has never been used. the odd thing is, when i pull the monitor from the VGA, i get the cable not connected message on the screen. i plug it into the DVI with the adapter, and that goes away, but the monitor stays in its off state. does this mean anything?

Sounds to me like you just need to take a look at the control panel. Its been a while since I used an ATi card (last one was that same card you have), but there is normally something to choose which monitor to output to. Likely it thinks either you don't have a monitor attached to the DVI or you do, but just have the system not outputting anything to it.

So I'd play around in the control panel and see if you can get it to work on the DVI, and if not, shut down the computer and connect it up through the DVI, then start the computer up. You should see something on your display then. Report back if you don't.

Hey that did it. Never would have thought that booting it plugged in would be any different than plugging it in while already booted, but I'm not gonna argue. Thanks for all your help and quick responses, I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back