Oopps!... did i mess up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tastegw

ok, so my funds cleared (funds for my new psu and gpu) this morning before i left for work and i had about 15 minutes to do a quick check on newegg to see if they could beat a deal @ tiger direct on a 600w psu.

i found this one at newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817170021

it everything about it seem to match what i was looking for.
80%+ certified, SLI support, greenish color, ect and at the same time was 50 watts more that what i was looking for.

so the price was right along with the specs and all. and i had 5 minutes to make up my mind before i had to leave for work. ( i wanted to go ahead and get it on order so it would ship out 2day rather than ordering after work and have it ship out on monday)

then after reviewing my order (with like 3 minutes left before i had to leave) i noticed that the fan was on the top of the psu.... i was like "NOOOO"

so im thinking this psu is meant to be mounted in the cases where the psu goes at the bottom of the case, well mine has to be mounted at the top of the case.

here are my options....

A)buy another psu (witch i dont want to)
B) buy a new case (maybe cheaper than replacing the psu) (i dont want to do this either)
C) just mount the darn thing upside down and let my 6+ case fans take care of the extra heat
D) drill a hole in the top of my case and cap it off with a grill.
E)none of the above...

what would you do?

if i can, ill mount it upside down and figure out a way to help get that heat out of the case as quickly as possible if it is needed.
thats what im thinking anyways.

You are fine. First determine if that fan is actually blowing air out or sucking it in. If its sucking in, then just mount it upside down, no prob there. If its blowing out, then just take the fan out and mount it in backwards, I've done this before, its pretty simple. Just be a bit careful not to touch the capacitors, but really that shouldn't be too hard. The fan is attached to the outer case of the psu, and that part will just lift off with the unscrewing of a few screws, then you can remount the fan without being anywhere near the internals of the PSU.

In short, no big deal.

SNGX1275 said:
You are fine. First determine if that fan is actually blowing air out or sucking it in. If its sucking in, then just mount it upside down, no prob there. If its blowing out, then just take the fan out and mount it in backwards, I've done this before, its pretty simple. Just be a bit careful not to touch the capacitors, but really that shouldn't be too hard. The fan is attached to the outer case of the psu, and that part will just lift off with the unscrewing of a few screws, then you can remount the fan without being anywhere near the internals of the PSU.

In short, no big deal.

thank you so much for that response, as i had ran out of money and have nothing left in my budget for this pc build im doing.

it sucking in the air sounds really sweet, free extra exhaust for my case ;)

thanks again.

Yeh, if it is blowing the 'wrong' way for you, just flip the fan over like I said. It isn't difficult. And its a better solution than cutting your own case or blowing hot air back in :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back