OpenGL and Direct3D Card setup problems??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, heres my situation. I have my default ATI Rage Pro 32MB card on the AGPx1 slot but also recntly bought a PCI Visiontek Geforce 4 MX 420 64MB card which isn't impressing me much. Well I recently bought a couple games that aren't working the best with those.

Clive Barker's Undying can't initialize the Direct3D and Myth3 works in OpenGL but severally lags. Unreal Tournament lags big time in OpenGL, System Shock 2 just says the card isn't compatible. I know some of these games would work with the ATI card, I read in the readme.txt that Shock 2 would work with ATI Rage Pro.

So my question is, is there any clue on how to disable one card so the system and games can recognize the other card? How can I get OpenGL and Direct3D to work better?? I have the newest drivers for both cards installed and upgraded the patches for the games. I have DirectX9.

I read somewhere that might be something with Remote Desktop Sharing turned on??? Also wondering if I took both cards out of the slots, uninstalled the drivers and bought a nice new juicey AGPx4-8 Geforce 4 TI card, would that work in a AGPx1 slot?

I'm running an older Compaq system so the BIOS sucks on it and I can't alter anything important.....

If anyone knows any good tweaks or ideas or programs to run or something please let me know because I got several things sitting on the shelf now that are calling my name and I hear all this buzz about OpenGL but don't know that much about it or how it works.... :confused:

So any help is appreciated! THanks and I'll get back to you if you have any questions....

The best way to disable your ATI card is in Device Manager, not sure which OS you have but if you access System Properties, just go into Device Manager from there, open the Display Adapters category, double click on the ATI device & disable it in its property page. I assume that card is needed for anything at all.

Beyond that list more about your system. If you only have an AGP 1X capable slot then it's unlikely getting a geforce 4 will solve your performance issues.

First of all, keep in mind that you have a PCI video card. The PCI bus isn't all that fast, so don't expect much. Also, a newer GeForce4 Card will only work in AGP 2x/4x/8x slots, so you're pretty much screwed there too. Next, you can't alter much in the BIOS until you get a new comp, so I suggest getting one custom made.

As a short term fix for your PCI video card, download NVMax. It's only compatible with older NVIDIA Detonator Drivers, so find a place to download version 30.82. NVMax allows you to turn on/off things like anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, etc. as well as overclock your card. However, before overclocking, make sure to get either a better video card fan or a good case fan at the least-overclocking too high would cause damage to the card and it
will void your warranty. I recommend going about 5-10 MHz each time, and testing out your machine to make sure there aren't any glitches (ie. Artifacts).

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back