Opera 9.5 Alpha Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNGX1275

New Opera release today. Several enhancements including a preview of a syncronize feature where you can have the same bookmarks on all your computers running Opera.

Much more details and download links here: http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/next/

Windows Changelog here: http://snapshot.opera.com/windows/w950a1.html

I've been running it for half an hour now. No real problems, although scrolling with the scroll wheel seems a bit sluggish until the page completely loads, something I haven't seen anyone else complaining about (I read the digg comments).

Yes. Infact it won't install over by default. It will create a seperate installation at \Program Files\Opera 9.5 Alpha

If anyone is planning on trying it on OS X, the install isn't like Windows, and it will overwrite your 9.23 install. With past versions this wasn't a problem, but with this version it clears out your bookmarks and also your Wand passwords. So be sure to back those up first. I backed up my bookmarks just in case this happened, but don't know if you can do it with Wand passwords, so I lost all of them :(

It looks nice on OS X, more modern, but I sort of miss the old look. I'm sure I'll get used to it and like it better with time, and of course there are always skins you can use.

Haven't had any problems with either the Windows or the OS X version, aside from the scrolling issue I mentioned above.

I installed it on Ubuntu, where it overwrote my 9.23 installation. I didn't have any bookmarks as far as I can remember, so that wasn't an issue for me.

I do wish that toolbars could be moved around and resized, however.

Regards :)

I might have to give this a look.

I've been a long time Opera user. It's on every computer I own.

I love Opera-USB for work/other computers.

Never even looked at FF or IE (Except for the few websites that don't display in Opera)

I've found another minor issue with the Windows version. When I go to techspot.com/vb and log in, techspot says I'm logged in but then when the page reloads I'm 'not logged in', what is happening is it loads up the cached version where I wasn't logged in, and I need reload manually to get it to the screen. Not a huge deal, but this didn't happen in 9.23

SNGX1275 said:
I've been running it for half an hour now. No real problems, although scrolling with the scroll wheel seems a bit sluggish until the page completely loads, something I haven't seen anyone else complaining about (I read the digg comments).
Fixed that problem. Forgot I had to do this with previous versions too. At work we are on a domain, so some programs have their own settings on the S drive (which is just the network drive where my profile is stored), so I had to go into the about:config and every place I saw S:\xp\Application Data I changed it to C:\Program Files\Opera 9.5 Alpha.

Now its just as speedy as 9.23 was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back