Opera to receive compensation for anticompetitive practises of Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Didou

Opera to receive compensation for anticompetitive practices of Microsoft

An "international company" (surely Microsoft) which has willfully made its webpage incompatible with Opera paid the european shareware company USD 12,75 million to avoid litigation.

Sylvain Perchaud, CEO of Europe Shareware and leader of software sector study project at FFII comments:

This a new, and impressive, success for Opera. I think we should say more often that we have market leaders supporting the cause of a free information infrastructure without software patents (Opera in the mobile phone market, WinRAR for compression utilities, oXygen from Europe Shareware for XML editors, etc).

I've found Opera has problems with a few different sites and I've had to resort to IE to view them. Saying that it hasn't put me off Opera at all. I still love it to bits. Mouse gestures, tabbed pages within one window, nice easy short cut keys. Great result for one of the smaller companies that has had the misfortune of trying to encrouch on one of the many areas Micro$oft has its fingers in.

And now MSN is starting to support it too, instead of adding tags with which to make it unrenderable...

There was a lot of ruckus about it a year or two ago. Glad to see Opera came through on top!

I've been using it for ages, and has hardly any problem with it. (And I'm not just saying that because it's a Norwegian browser ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back