Opinion on this rig please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzaza

Hey everyone,

Does this seem acceptable for decent gaming....i like to play a bit of everything...bioshock oblivion winning eleven...i dont have to be in super duper resolution but good enough to enjoy i play different kind of games limited to my PC's performance :)

its from NCIX.com its in CAD but there is not difference now Its around 821 + shipping and taxes ..around

1 x PC ASSEMBLY AND TESTING (PRE-CONFIG OS IF PURCHASED)
1 x AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ EE Dual Core Processor AM2 Windsor 2.2GHZ 512KBX2 65W 90NM Retail Box
1 x ASUS M2N-E ATX AM2 Nforce 570 Ultra PCI-E16 PCI-E4 2PCI-E1 3PCI SATA RAID Sound GBLAN Motherboard
1 x Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-5400C4 2GB 2X1GB PC5400 DDR2-667 CL 4-4-4-12 240PIN Dual Channel Memory
1 x EVGA E-GEFORCE 8400GS 450MHZ 256MB 64BIT 800MHZ DDR2 PCI-E VGA DVI-I HDTV Out DIRECTX10 Video Card
1 x Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro AM2 S754 S939 S940 2200RPM 40CFM Heatsink Fan
1 x Compucase 6C28 ATX Case White 4X5.25 2X3.5 4X.3.5INT W/ Front USB & Audio No PS
1 x Corsair HX520 CMPSU-520HX 520W ATX Triple 12V 40A Continuous 24PIN ATX Modular 120MM Power Supply
1 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB SATA2 8.5MS 7200RPM 16MB Cache Hard Drive 5YR MFR Warranty
1 x Samsung SH-S203B Black SATA DVD+RW 20X8X16 DVD-RW 20X6X16 DL 18X/12X INT DVD Writer OEM W/ Vista SW
1 x Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 32BIT DVD OEM

The NForce 570 SLI is an older architecture, but will still perform nicely. The graphics card is okay, but you won't be able to max out a lot of higher end games. I'm also a little leary about that power supply. A safer power supply for that rig should be at least 650-700 watts, leaving some overhead. It's still a nice system and will be able to play everything out there so far, just not on max settings.

sghiznaneck said:
The NForce 570 SLI is an older architecture, but will still perform nicely. The graphics card is okay, but you won't be able to max out a lot of higher end games. I'm also a little leary about that power supply. A safer power supply for that rig should be at least 650-700 watts, leaving some overhead. It's still a nice system and will be able to play everything out there so far, just not on max settings.

I agree on the power supply as its easier to expand. what would you suggest as a motherboard and video card?

i dont feel like bothering my head with upgrading too many parts except for RAM and HD for the next 2 years max

thx

Seeing that it's a pre-built, it's a little tough to get the mobo of your choice, unless you purchase a custom pre-built. The ASUS boards are great. I have used them for about 6 years now and made a mistake of an EVGA 590 SLI about a year ago and swapped it out for an ASUS M2N32 SLI Deluxe board. It also has a 590 chip. The XFX GeForce 8600 GT card runs at a 620 mhz core clock speed and has 256 meg of onboard GDDR3 memory, which is a considerable gain in speed (frame rates). But, once again beware. If you want a pre-built system with specific hardware in it, you're going to pay through the nose for it.
Have you considered building your own?? I know many people are afraid because they say "I don't know how to do it", but it's a lot easier than everyone thinks. If you can follow the motherboard manual, match the right RAM, graphics card, power supply, etc, it's a snap. You just have to take your time on your initial build. After that, it's old hat. Besides, the money you would save building your own compared to getting a manufacturer to "custom" build one, you could turn around and purchase higher end parts, or put the money in your pocket for a really great game that'll tax the system you just built.

Hello Benzaza,
I'm building a new rig as well for decent gaming so have been researching like crazy. three questions though:

is 821 in $ or € or pounds?
what PSU? does it come with the case?
are you getting a monitor as well? look at the prices of the 22" LCD's at the moment unless you already have one.

MOBO looks solid if you really want an AMD chip and don't want SLi.

Video card: this is only an entry level card. Sure it has DirectX 10 and Shader Model 4.0 support but if you really wanted to future proof your computer you would have gotten a quad core processor. Look at a 7950GT which is good value at the moment.

maxpower said:
Hello Benzaza,
I'm building a new rig as well for decent gaming so have been researching like crazy. three questions though:

is 821 in $ or € or pounds?
what PSU? does it come with the case?
are you getting a monitor as well? look at the prices of the 22" LCD's at the moment unless you already have one.

MOBO looks solid if you really want an AMD chip and don't want SLi.

Video card: this is only an entry level card. Sure it has DirectX 10 and Shader Model 4.0 support but if you really wanted to future proof your computer you would have gotten a quad core processor. Look at a 7950GT which is good value at the moment.

Its in canadian dollars no screen included...PSU is the power supply unit and 700 W would make sense as the higher end video cards will hog power...and in this case the PSU is separate from the case

I would like to get a cool 20-22 inches LCD HP looks inexpensive well see :)

sghiznaneck said:
Seeing that it's a pre-built, it's a little tough to get the mobo of your choice, unless you purchase a custom pre-built. The ASUS boards are great. I have used them for about 6 years now and made a mistake of an EVGA 590 SLI about a year ago and swapped it out for an ASUS M2N32 SLI Deluxe board. It also has a 590 chip. The XFX GeForce 8600 GT card runs at a 620 mhz core clock speed and has 256 meg of onboard GDDR3 memory, which is a considerable gain in speed (frame rates). But, once again beware. If you want a pre-built system with specific hardware in it, you're going to pay through the nose for it.
Have you considered building your own?? I know many people are afraid because they say "I don't know how to do it", but it's a lot easier than everyone thinks. If you can follow the motherboard manual, match the right RAM, graphics card, power supply, etc, it's a snap. You just have to take your time on your initial build. After that, it's old hat. Besides, the money you would save building your own compared to getting a manufacturer to "custom" build one, you could turn around and purchase higher end parts, or put the money in your pocket for a really great game that'll tax the system you just built.

I am trying to build my own by going through a preconfigured one but how about I start with the motherboard that you mentionned and build from there...Ive build a PC once and i used to be a hardware geek i just lost the drive after the first ever Geforce2 back in 1999 i think lol i just went to the PS2 haha

how about I start with a standard big enough case

MOBO ASUS M2N32 SLI Deluxe board
PSU lets go for 700W
2 gig of rams minimum DDR2
standard SATA HD (200-400 GB)
videocard suggestion?
processor suggestion?
heatsink included with processor or is that just the colling fan?
DVD/CD dual layer?

anything else im forgetting?

Try these links
Cases: A mid tower should do the trick.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=32&name=Computer-Cases
Processor: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_cpu.asp?name=Processors Stick with the AM2 for that board. An AM2 5000+ or higher will be great for gaming.
Video Cards: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1558& The 8600 GTS is a good card and you're on a budget. The 8800 GTX is an awesome card if you want to max everything out, as long as the processor and RAM can handle it.
CPU Heat Sink Fans: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=2545 This is important. The Dual cores run hot and the 8800 series cards run even hotter. A few additional case fans are also a must unless you go water cooling.
If you're going to go DVD-RW, might as well go dual layer. That way you can double the storage space from 4 gigs to 8 gigs.
When selecting a power supply, just make sure that you have at least two SLI power connectors because the 8800 GTX cards require two connections. They are a power hog.
And of course, don't forget an operating system. If you already have an XP installation disk, you're okay. If not, that will add another $85-100 US. My suggestion is to stay away from VISTA for a while. If you're building this rig for gaming, you won't really receive a performance increase from VISTA. Actually, you'll get a performance decrease.
All of this also depends on your budget, but to build a system similar to this may cost you $1,200 - 1,500 by shopping around. A custom build from a manufacturer could run well over $2,000 US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back