Opinions on Spec for a new machine welcomed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alcu

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at replacing my ageing computer and am trying to spec up a new one. If you have any spare time I'd be grateful for any advice or changes or additions you would make to the system that I'm thinking of putting together (please see the attached text file).

I've never built a system before but am keen to do it - which is why I'm not buying a pre-built system. I dabble with web and graphic design but tend to play games on my 360, so I need some ooomph but doesn't need to be OTT and the price of the machine is about what I would want to play.

Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks all!

Paul

Attachments

• comp.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 5
Looking like you'll have a very nice system there!

The only thing I personally would change, would be to get a decent PSU. I don't know much about "Sansun" power supplies, but typically PSUs that come with cases are bad news.

If you do some searching on this forum, you will see that cheap PSUs are not only one of the more common things messing up people's systems, but they are extremely hard to diagnose. Cheap PSUs make other parts of your system behave eratic, leading us to believe that OTHER parts are faulty when in fact it is the PSU at blame.

Long story short, you are spending some big dollars on some very high quality parts. Don't skimp on the PSU. Get something that will reliably power your system. Companies like Forton, Enermax, Antec etc.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566

I agree. I had spent some money on a new rig that i have had for a few months now. It even has a Raptor in it and until i fitted in an Enermax PSU my AMD 2400+ XP system felt much faster than it!!!

Hmm, I hadn't considered that at all so many thanks for bringing it up. I'll look for a new case and PSU and post back later!

Thanks for your advice :eek:)

Paul

If you really like that case, go ahead and get it. Just take out the PSU that comes with it and put in one that you purchase separately.

Good luck!

the plan is to put in a second 7600GT if I want it later. Do you have an idea of how much power I'll need? I figure 350W won't be enough - is that right?

Cheers, Paul

Final Specs

Just to complete the thread, attached is the system I have finally decided on (complete with better PSU!!).

Thanks, Paul

Attachments

• comp.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 6
Looks like a solid system that should last you for some time to come.

Just be sure to get yourself a good surge protector, I'd hate to see a little power spike take out one of your expensive components.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back