Opinions please - which computer should I buy? Totally clueless!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello-

*First of all, I am sorry if this is a repeat question! I did a search but I could not find my exact question! I read through the posts pertaining to my question, but they were all too confusing!*

I totally need help deciding which computer to buy - the Intel Pentium 4 or the AMD Athlon 64. I do not know that much about computers (I love typing and everything, but I do not know computer parts and all of that), so please don't use a lot of technical terms when replying to me (sorry!)....try to simplify it if you can:blush:! I will be using this computer for personal use mainly (surfing the web, e-mail, downloading pictures from digital camera, working on my website, typing up documents, etc). I just want a system that is fast and reliable. I'm not much of a game player (if I do play a computer game, it's only maybe one or two times a year).

I am debating between these 2 computers (I know the Intel is more expensive - I do not mind that....I just have no idea which one would be better suited for me):

*This one?*
- Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition with SP2
- Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 519J (3.06GHz, 533 FSB)
- 512 MB DDR / PC3200 (2 DIMM)
- 160GB 7200 rpm SATA Hard Drive
- LightScribe Double Layer 16X DVD +/-R/RW drive
- 16x max. DVD-ROM
- 9 in 1 Card Reader, 3 USB, + Front Audio Ports
- 3.5 in. 1.44MB Floppy Drive
- Integrated Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 900
- Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS card w/Front Audio ports
- Compaq Wireless Keyboard and Opt Scroller Mouse
- Microsoft(R) Works 7.0/Money 2004/MSN Encarta Plus

-OR-

*This one?*
- Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition with SP2
- AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3200+ operating at 2.2GHz
- 512 MB DDR / PC3200 (1 DIMM)
- 200GB 7200 rpm SATA Hard Drive
- LightScribe Double Layer 16X DVD +/-R/RW drive
- 16x max. DVD-ROM
- 9 in 1 Card Reader, 3 USB, + Front Audio Ports
- 3.5 in. 1.44MB Floppy Drive
- Integrated SIS Mirage2 Graphics
- Integrated 5.1 Capable Sound w/ Front Audio ports
- Compaq Wireless Keyboard and Opt Scroller Mouse
- Microsoft(R) Works 7.0/Money 2004/MSN Encarta Plus

I want to order my computer ASAP so any info would be so appreciated! Thanks!

~Antoinette:)~

From what you described either one would perform great for your needs, but if the cost is the same I'd choose the AMD64 machine - :shock: I know that will catch some of the regulars off guard since I'm such in intel fanboy. The reason I say that is I don't think I can recommend the intel one shortcoming - the FSB on the processor. I wouldn't recommend anything less than 800 MHz FSB. Like I said earlier though, either of these machines can EASILY accomplish the tasks you have stated.

By the way - if it's possible to get the sound card from the P4 included in the AMD machine that would be even better. The sound card is:
on P4
- Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS card w/Front Audio ports
on AMD64
- Integrated 5.1 Capable Sound w/ Front Audio ports

I'd go for the AMD 64...not only will it do what you want it to do, but if you want to play games eventually, youll have the option. :grinthumb

LNCPapa, thanks so much for the info! You said that you wouldn't recommend getting anything under 800MHz for the FSB. Why not, and what does this mean?

~Antoinette~

dr.problem, thanks so much for the info! Is the AMD Athlon better with games than the Pentium and why is that?

~Antoinette~

Antoinette, currently the Athlon64 and Athlon64-FX series of chips are outperforming all like-genre Intel CPUs. The P4 is even losing ground in memory bandwidth which with it used to reign supreme. This won't last forever of course, but with all the *existing* options, Athlon64 is simply faster.

hi
I think you should go with the amd system. Also you said it has integrated graphics, if I were you I would go out and buy a graphics card. If you are ever going to do anything graphics heavy then get the ati radeon x800-xt card. the only drawback to that card is its hard to find and rather expensive. ($500-600). If you arn't looking to pay that much go get a 64mb-128mb card. they run from $100-150. If you didn't understand anythin just let me know. :bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back